Chapter Seventeen

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: APRIL 12TH, 2016

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

            "You're murdering that straw." Parker tells me, pulling the Starbucks cup from my grasp. I pull my eyes from Griffyn and look at the cup. Sure enough, the straw is bent and cracked at several places, chewed beyond the point of use.

            I sigh and grab the cup, throwing it into a trash can that a janitor conveniently rolls by at that moment. "Jesus, that was some good stuff too. I love vanilla bean."

            Parker leans against her locker, giving me a weird look. "Are you okay this morning? You seem a bit off."

            Oh, thanks for noticing, Park! In case you haven't noticed, everything is off! I think sarcastically in my head. I wouldn't dare say that out loud though. It would be very rude and Parker is nice. She doesn't deserve that.

            But really, everything is off.

            It's Friday and this week has gone by without any more drama after Griffyn and I made up on Monday. But when I woke up extra early this morning and arrived at school earlier than usual, I knew something was up. I mean, it's a Friday! I'm usually always late on Friday! And as if this day hadn't been any weirder, I actually decided to take the bus to school!

           And I should of known with the lack of drama this week that it was just the calm before the storm. And boy is that statement correct. God, I just got hit with a fucking twenty foot tidal wave when I walked into the school and saw Griffyn talking at his locker with some girl. Any thoughts I'd had that led me to believe Griff may actually like me diminished in that second. How stupid was I to think he'd actually feel something for me just because of our texts earlier this week? We are just best friends and that's all we'll ever be.

            Now Park and I and all of the other early students are just loitering in the hall until the bell rings, signifying school's start.

            I shrug and dig around in my backpack for a stick of gum. Finally, I find the pack and pop a piece into my mouth. I offer Park one, but she declines. "Who's that girl? The blonde one talking to Griffyn. Is her name Caitlyn?" I point straight at them, causing Parker to squeal and push my arm down.

            "Pointing is not nice!"

            I roll my eyes at her and gesture over to Griffyn and the girl who I assume is Caitlyn, exaggerating the non-use of my pointer finger by vigorously nodding my head in their direction.

            Parker glances over with a frown, probably confused as to why I care. "Yeah, that's Caitlyn Bartalinelli." I give her a raised eyebrow when she pronounces Caitlyn's last name. Parker laughs at my facial expression. "Yeah, her last name is kind of a tongue-twister. We just call her Caitlyn Bart. She's a Sophomore and is in some of my classes, so obviously, she must be a genius."