Chapter 9. Magenta

Mulai dari awal

We eventually wandered into a small meadow in the park with fragrant wild flowers and a towering elm tree. Zara sat her bucket on the hearth and lay down on her back, raising her chin up to the clouds. I decided to lie beside her and do the same.

"I had a dream about you last night." She said evasively.

"Was I good?"

She groaned. "Hopeless. It was nothing like that."

"So I wasn't good?" I gasped, feigning hurt.

"Ugh. Be serious." It seemed like that was becoming a popular phrase in regards to me.

I chuckled and tilted my head so that I could see her more clearly. "Alright alright, what was it about?"

She propped herself on her elbow, resting her free hand on my chest and looked at me earnestly. "I had a dream that we found underwear so small even your dick found it too tight."

"Zara!"

She was already up and running away. I shot up on my feet and chased after her, grabbing her by the waist. Our momentum was strong and we ended up crashing against each other and falling on the grass. I was on top of her and her breathing was erratic.

Her chest was rising and falling against mine. I felt like I was swimming. Her breath smelled like bergamot and grapefruit; I was swimming in citrus. And then I looked into her eyes and I was swimming in honey brown and gold flecks and dark brown splashes. And then we were rolling and rolling until our bodies hit the trunk of a tree.

"Ouch!" She gasped, but she was laughing and I was laughing, and it felt good to just laugh for no damn reason at all.

*******

Choke cherry jam was God's punishment to humanity. I could not understand for the life of me how Zara liked that crap. She had it smeared all over her baguette while I had surrendered mine to the ants. Did she hate homeless people? Why would she want us to make this poisonous substance to feed to the less fortunate?

There was a nice warm breeze where we had our picnic set up and Zara had decided to undo the hooks of her jumper, letting the flaps fall loosely at her waste. She looked sexy in corduroy. I wondered at how it would feel to run my fingers over the fabric and feel the mould of her body underneath.

"You pack a good picnic," She said, smacking her lips after devouring the entire container of strawberries.

I smiled. "Thanks. I got the instructions from Artur."

She chuckled. "Of course. You two are joined at the hip."

"Of course, I've known him since the day I was born. He was 5 months old and his mom had brought him down to see my mom and I while we were still at the hospital. We grew up together; he's my brother."
"Your parents are close?" She asked, reclining against my shoulder. I wrapped my arm around her, pulling her close.

"Yeah, our mothers are best friends. Our dads aren't as close, but they're friendly enough. It's so annoying because I tell Artur just about everything, he tells his mother just about everything, who then tells my mother just about everything. So I can't hide anything from her. The only thing he's successfully kept his trap shut about is that I'm seeing you."

She leaned her head back so that she could look at me. Her eyebrows were raised. "Why would you need to hide that?"

"She's not very fond of the idea of me dating one of her colleagues." I explained.

Zara smiled her usual teasing her. "Of course, she told me as much."

I was surprised; I hadn't expected they would talk about this.