Chapter 3. All's Well...

I graduated from McGill University with top honours for my undergraduate degree. I also received my master’s degree –with top honours as well- from Cambridge. And with only four years into my career I was already the Senior Accountant in one of the biggest investment firms in Canada, working at their Winnipeg branch. I made just over 300k a year, with a promotion just on the horizon, and owned a beautiful home in a prestigious neighbourhood.

This just came to prove that no matter how smart or successful you are, it would never make you understand women any more than you already did not. What, in the name of god, had possessed me to go back to that damn store and make such an ass out of myself? Was it possible that I had incurred a head injury in my infanthood that my mother hadn’t told me about?

That must've been it; my brain was severely damaged due to a head injury I'd sustained as I child, so it was entirely my mother’s fault I had gone back and done what I did.  

Having come to that conclusion, I was feeling a little better about myself and took another heavy sip of my beer.

I looked down at my watch. Artur was late; incredibly late. And when Artur was this late, it usually meant he was bringing Reah.

I glanced towards the door from my booth, noticing a smiling Artur strolling in with –of course– Reah. She caught my eye and gave me a knowing, taunting grin.

He told her.

That son of bitch!

The moment they slid into the booth Reah began howling with laughter. Her dark black hair curtained her face as she fell forward, grasping the table as she shook with laughter. Laughing at my misery. After what seemed too long a time of her laughing like a crackling witch, and Art chuckling like a mad scientist, they both calmed down and regained some human sympathy towards me.

“You are such an idiot!” Reah stated. “Like, the biggest idiot I’ve ever had the fortune of knowing.”

I scowled; glancing around the busy pub to make sure no one was listening to our conversation and sharing in my embarrassment. Art and Reah had attracted a lot of attention with their very mean laughter. It hurt my feelings… a little.

“Why did you go back David? Whyyyy?” Art dragged. He was still grinning, that inglorious bastard was always grinning. It seemed like the only facial expression he had, I swear. Or perhaps it was because my lovely self was always giving him a reason to grin.

“I don’t know,” I said as I covered my face with my hands. “I just did. I know I’m an idiot, please don’t remind me!”

“You’d think a 29 year old accountant would know better… and then you’d meet David.” Reah quipped. Her green eyes were glowing with all the excitement of getting to embarrass me. She was a very cute girl in the girl-next door- type of way, but she was also unfortunately every bit as much of a child as her lover. How did that saying go, lovers of a feather…?

“Are you listening?” Art said, waving his hand in my face.

“Yeah, I was. What were you saying?” I replied distractedly.

“Reah was saying you should go back and apologize.”

I shook my head. There was no way I was going back there. “I can’t, she already thinks I’m creepy. If I show up again she’ll just think I’m a stalker.”

Reah nodded in understanding. “True, true. I guess you’re fucked then. Drink up pretty boy!”

I willing took her advice and chugged down the remainder of my beer.

Like I think Shakespeare said, all’s well that drinks well.

********* 

I did not drink well. I never did, which is why I usually didn’t willingly get drunk. The worst part was that I had to sport my massive hangover while at my mom’s house.

Someone in heaven really hated me. Was it because of that one time in kindergarten I peed on the teacher by accident and ran away?

Of course my mom was up to her usual antics. She was fussing over the fact my relationship with Katja ended –not even sure how she knew I had been in one – and the fact I hadn’t gotten haircut yet.

“What kind of girl is going to be interested in settling down with someone that looks Rupert?!” She scolded. Rupert was her shaggy Yorkie she had groomed once a month. “And don’t they require you to look half decent at your job? You show up at my house, looking like you’ve been drinking all night your hair isn’t even combed!”

My mom was a tiny woman, but god she was scary. I remember being a teenager in her house, trying to sneak out with Art and her always catching me. Always!

I sighed heavily and closed my eyes. If I just imagined myself making out with Kate Upton this day would go by a lot quicker and before I knew it my father would be home and we’d go fishing.

“David open your eyes and listen to me!”

My eyes flews open.

For fucks’ sake!

I sat up and looked at her as earnestly as I could. “Mommy, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Katja. I promise I’ll inform you the next time I date someone. Which will be…soon. Are we good?”

She contemplated it for a moment before sighing in resignation and nodding. “Just make sure you don’t leave me out of the loop next time. I had to find out about it from Artur’s mom. Even Artur has the courtesy to call his mom and share things in his life with her.” She said with a piqued huff.

“Mom that’s because Artur shares too much with his mom. We have a good balance don’t you think?” I said, going up to her and giving her a bear hug that lifted her off the floor.

“Put me down Davie, you’ll get my hair all messed up.” She said laughingly.

We were situated in the living room, a familiar sitcom blaring from the TV screen. I sat back into the comfortable sofa and started watching it. My mom left to make a call to her friend Mary, probably about how frustrating their husbands and sons were.

Alone at last!

That was, until the doorbell rang. It’s not like I was going to relax or anything, not like that all.

I begrudgingly got off the sofa to go and get the door. “I got it mom!” Not she was going to go and get it anyway.

Imagine my surprise and trepidation when I opened the door to find an absolutely bewitching Zara, in a simple white summer dress standing in front of the door.

She stood there, her face a mirror of shock, until it grew into acute, and undeniable vexation. “You have got to be kidding me!” She hissed.