I Am Vain

I had my first nightmare. And it was weird. I kept dreaming of a dog with his fur melted off his face and body. He was a bloody mess and kept growling at me. He wanted to tear me apart. For some reason, to keep him away, I back handed him. My hand connected with his exposed flesh and his blood was all over the back of my hand. 

He froze for a second, then looked up at me and growled again. His eyes were pale white. I smacked him again and he growled louder. I quickly backed up from him and kicked him hard in the throat and he threw up human gore all over my leg. And then I woke up in a sweat. My headphones tangled around me.

I had never had a nightmare before, so I was shaken. I went upstairs to the bathroom and washed my face. I looked up in the mirror. As you know, I am afraid of mirrors. There are some times I just look in the mirror to catch anything odd. I can’t tell you how long I stared at myself. This time I saw something.

I winked.

My reflection winked at me and smiled. I wasn’t smiling. My reflection cupped my face and tried to kiss me. It’s touch was so cold and clammy, it made my blood freeze and I couldn’t breathe. I could scream. My eyes weren’t brown, it was red and my teeth were sharp.

She kissed me and I could feel the life being sucked out of me and I woke up.

I had a nightmare within a nightmare.

And I made out with myself.

I couldn’t get back to sleep after that. So I curled next to my boyfriend and stared into the darkness. I felt eyes on me.