The Devil's Angel - Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Heading home felt like I was saying goodbye. And I was in a way. I wouldn't be back in the house for several months and when I did return it would only be to remove my things and take them over to Lucius' home. I had six months to get used to the idea that we would be moving in together. It was stupid to feel fear at the prospect. He had been sleeping in my home for several months already and he had the majority of his wardrobe in my drawer.

Yet it felt different.

It felt like I was changing my life irrevocably by agreeing to his terms. It was stupid and childish but it didn't stop it from being true. The house was my security blanket – my failsafe if our relationship didn't work out. But there were no guarantees in life and by holding on to this house when the decision had already been made would be holding us back – I would always have one foot out of the door.

It had to be all of nothing.

Zipping up my suitcase, which was bulging under the strain of so many things packed within its confines, I closed my eyes and bowed my head. Drawing in a few steadying breaths, I tried to calm my thudding heart. I was being stupid – it was just Lucius. He was the same man I had been around for years and had loved for almost that long.

It was just a lot to take in. I was moving to Hell and I would be helping Lucius to rule it. Never had I imagined that my life would be heading this way. When I had been young and they had asked what I wanted to be it was never Queen of Hell. It never even entered my mind as a possibility. Not that a princess had been a realistic option either.

"Are you okay? You don't need to come if you don't want to." Lucius murmured softly, arms coming to wrap around my waist and his face burrowing into the side of my neck.

The way his arms flexed and tightened around my body told me that saying 'no' really wouldn't be that simple. He would not be able to let me go as easily as he professed.

And I didn't want to say no. I wanted to go with him – live in his world and be the woman he needed. And it was not because I had to but because I wanted to. It was the thing about love. It didn't make me any less of an independent woman to want to be by his side. It didn't mean I forfeited who I was to become a love struck fool. It was a free choice to be with and support a person who meant a lot to me.

"I'm fine. Just getting jitters about this sitting on the throne malarkey." I waved my hand carelessly through the air to brush of his concerns before turning in his arms.

Pressed chest to chest to one another, I could feel our heart beats pumping in perfect synchronisation. It was incredible considering my pulse was humming so fast I could barely keep count of the beats. But all thoughts of matching heart beats melted away when I stared up into those mesmerising blue eyes and drunk in the emotions which swirled within the crystalline depths. I wasn't sure what he could see within my own gaze but I tried to convey all of my feelings with all of my heart.

"You're never leaving me here. You're not getting away from me that easy." I replied softly, wrapping his hands into his shirt as his fingers dug into my waist.

Hugging me tighter to his body in a move so possessive it left me breathless, he whispered a blunt response that my scattered mind could not comprehend. And then he closed the remaining distance between us. His lips were firm and warm as they took ownership of my mouth. I watched him for as long as the intoxicating kiss would allow but all too quickly my body became overcome by the sensations and my eyes fluttered closed.

It was as close to heaven as I could get. At least it seemed that way to me. His embrace was like coming home. He made me feel whole on the inside while setting my veins alive with a spark only he could ignite. It was a confusing mix. One hand came up to tangle in my hair while the other remained wrapped around my waist.