The Devil's Angel - Chapter 20

After being processed at the station which involved a rather invasive search process, I was led to the cells and left to stew.

My body ached as I sat on the metal bed screwed onto the wall, my back leaning against the cold hard walls. I sighed and tipped my head back.

Other than being accused of attempted murder, I knew nothing. I had thought I would have been hauled straight in for questioning but they had just left me here to my own thoughts. They were probably trying to make me break. Leave me to the silence so that I could overthink the situation. So I might be more talkative when they finally came to interview me.

Instead, for the past four hours I had been unable to think of anything other than Victor Lyle. I knew he was well connected and had a lot of money. He was a member of parliament so it wasn't a big leap, but I did not know that he had enough influence and money in order to fund at least three hidden testing locations for the kidnapped persons and to keep them from the public eye. At least until I came along.

The lock on the cell door clanked as the lock disengaged and then it swung open to reveal a bland unassuming man dressed in regulation police uniform.

"If you would come with me Miss Holmes," the man asked but it came out as an order.

It rankled, being ordered around by a man I could easily put on the floor. Despite this, I just smiled and stood from the uncomfortable bed only just resisting the urge to rub at my numb behind.

"Of course," I murmured.

"Hands out," he ordered.

I frowned and held out my hands, wincing as cuffs were slapped around my wrists and tightened so that they pinched my skin.

"Let's go."

With my constricted wrists help out before me, I allowed myself to be led down the corridors. We passed through a few security checkpoints before I was led into the questioning room. Two-way glass adorned one wall of the room. I could sense the stares of several people even though I could only see mine and my escort's reflection.

"Sit here." He ordered, pushed me forwards and then forcing me down onto a stiff metal chair.

"Can you take these off?" I asked but the man was already shutting the door behind him.

Sighing I leant back in the chair and closed my eyes. I was tired. I had been up for twenty hours already and sleep still seemed a long way off. Not that I had been sleeping much recently.

The door clicked open and PC Matthews entered the room. Without his hat on and under the hideous yellow lighting, the man appeared older than he had the night before. I could make out the lines in the corner of his eyes and the around his mouth. He had grey eyes and his dark black hair had started to gain a few grey streaks to match. He slapped a manila file on to the table and then after a bit of prattling took a seat off of me.

Inserting a new cassette into the machine on the edge of the table, he pressed some buttons and a red light flared to life. It was a bit of overkill considering I could see a camera attached the wall behind his head, the red light blinking on it.

"Time of interview three fifty six am on December twentieth two thousand and fourteen. Officer conducting the interview today is PC David Matthews." He said monotonously before lifting his head and staring at me. "For our records, please can you confirm your full name?"

Clearing my throat, I croaked out my name. "Savannah Holmes."

"Do you know why you are here today Miss Holmes?" he asked, folding both arms over his folder.