The Devil's Angel - Chapter 17

"Here you go," Lucius spoke quietly, offering me a steaming mug of coffee.

I inhaled deeply and felt bliss radiate through my body. After another sleepless night, it was like was like the nectar of the gods to me in that moment. I couldn't imagine anything which could taste so good or revive me so thoroughly.

"Is he still sleeping?" I asked, my eyes drifting up to the ceiling as if I could actually see through the layers to see the man resting in Danny's bedroom.

"It appears so."

Groaning loudly, Lucius settled himself beside me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. His fingers casually stroked down the exposed skin of my arm while he leant his head back on the sofa. I shivered at the casual touches. He had been doing it all week, sneaking in kisses and touches every chance he could. And when he thought I wasn't looking, he stared at me with fear. It was as if he was scared. Seeing him vulnerable was terrifying. He was always my source of strength even if I didn't tell him that very often.

"I'm worried about him. We escaped but I think he will be trapped in that hellhole for a long time." I murmured, my eyes staring blankly ahead.

"Are you talking about him or you? He's the one who is sleeping right now, you haven't slept since you were found."

I laughed darkly. "How can I? We're no closer to finding out who is behind it all. It's someone with money and they have other operations going. Yes, we have the public at the moment but the story will die all too soon and I'm sure the kidnappings will start again. What is to stop them taking us all again? We need to stop them and while we are doing that we need to ensure that they're all safe."

Turning to face Lucius, I hated the burden on his shoulders but there was no other choice. If we didn't, who would save them?

"I know, and I'm not arguing with you. But you are no help to anyone like this. Maybe I should get a witch in to send you into an enchanted sleep. Maybe that would help you?" He said it in a teasing tone, his hand carefully tickling my ribs but underneath it all I could sense that he was perfectly serious.

Shaking my head, I smiled softly up at him, placing a hand on his cheek as I did so. "Thank you."

"For what?"

Pressing my lips against his, inhaling his scent as I relished the warmth the simple contact caused within me. I could feel his surprise. Despite the easy way we had been touching and holding each other since out big moment earlier in the week, it was the first time I had initiated a kiss in the long week since our public display of affection.

"Thank you for being you." I whispered against his lips. "Thank you for caring about me."

"As if I could do anything else," he said with a laugh, pulling me closer to his body. "You're stuck with me and my caring for the rest your life and your afterlife too. I call dibs on that."

I laughed and buried my head in his chest. "You're an idiot. You know that right?"

"Maybe so, but I'm your idiot." He replied tiredly. "And you are mine."

I didn't usually like being treated like a possession but there was something primal with the way he growled those words, his arms tightening around my body as he did so. It felt right. I didn't question it. I already knew with we had been fated for one another but when someone complimented a person so well, completed their soul so wholly, it was petty to hold anger at the fate I had been assigned.

"Am I interrupting?" A quiet voice murmured.

I startled, lifting my gaze up to meet Caspar's. He looked better than he had a week ago and then so much worse. The swelling to his face had finally disappeared but the bruising had now transformed from dark purple, taking on a green tinge as the wounds started to heal. Big bags had now settled under his eyes and the damage wrought by the captors was obvious now that he was clean and in clothes which now fit his malnourished form.