The Devil's Angel - Chapter 18

"Come on, Miss Holmes." Ms Bridger commanded. Her smile warm even if her tone was firm. "You're always running late."

"It's an occupational hazard I'm afraid." I offered by way of apology, dropping my t-shirt back over the silver-pink patch of skin on my stomach.

Time moved quickly after Binah's revelation. Nothing further had happened with Caspar. He was still oblivious to his destiny. And as days passed into weeks and we were no closer to knowing who was funding the entire kidnap and torture operation. It had been a frustrating period of following leads which took us in circles before dropping us right where we started – the beginning.

Even the police were no closer to the truth either. When they had finally found the cells, there were no signs that evil had been undertaken within the underground hideout. Everything of importance had been taken. They had only located the dead body of the kidnapped woman and one guard with a bullet through his skull. Everything else was gone.

Onion breath had been shot at point blank range, probably from friendly fire. I didn't feel pity for him. I should have but I wasn't an angel and I never claimed to be one. He had hurt so many people. I knew it within my soul that the man would have spent day after day tormenting the prisoners and inflicting pain upon them if he had been given the opportunity. Now the man who had caused so much torment to others was stuck in a coma, forever incapacitated and at the mercy of others. There would be no questioning him – the doctors didn't think he would ever wake up and if he did, the man would be severely affected by his injuries.

The other guard had been gone. Whether he had been taken or had been the one to shoot hid partner was a mystery. A mystery we would not be solving for a long time to come.

It also meant that we were left with no clue as to what we were looking for.

Shaking my head, I brushed off of my clothes before taking a last glance at myself in the mirror.

"You don't need to be nervous, you've done this before." Ms Bridger pointed out, her eyes surveying me from head to toe before she tutted, pulled my black cardigan off of my shoulders and replaced it witch a pale blue one.

"I know but this is just different. It's hard to explain."

My assistant brushed off my shoulders, and then hesitated. I glanced over my shoulder and felt slightly disorientated. It was a strange expression to see on her face. She didn't hesitate ever – she was always so calm and sure of herself.

"You can ask me whatever you like. I don't bite."

Biting her lip, the severe woman closed her eyes before blurting out the question which was on her lips. "It's two questions really. First, are you really an angel? I didn't want to ask because it felt unprofessional."

Chuckling, I turned to face her.

"No, I'm not an angel – no officially anyway."

The expression on my assistant's face was more than just disappointment. It was as if I had crushed her hopes and dreams. Deciding to offer her a bit of comfort, I placed a hand of her shoulder. "I may not be an Angel but I have met some. There are many other wonderful things in this world, more than you will ever know."

Nodding her head, the woman blew out a breath. She nodded her head and I released her shoulder.

"Now what was you second question?"

Ms Bridger fidgeted, her stern composure ruffled as she pressed a hand to her chest.

"How bad was it? When you were taken? I've seen the way Mr Satani has been hovering around you and don't think I didn't notice the sorry state you and the kid were in when you came back."