The Devil's Angel - Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Hope was present in every single person within my home after those words had been uttered by Gabriel. We had all been looking at the upcoming mission as just a partial success, we would have saved the people at one location while leaving those at the base in Wales to suffer at the hands of their captors.

"So are we all clear on the plan? Gabriel, you and your team will convene at the site in Wales while I'll lead the other team up to the Scottish site."

There was a few muttered grumbles from Zeke so I pinned him with a glare.

"What? I don't want to get hit by the toll bridge. You know who will end up paying don't you? Me!"

Folding my arms across my chest, I stared up at him in disbelief. "Are you being serious? You're complaining about a toll bridge?"

When Zeke's only answer was to nod his head, I threw my hands up in the air. "You're being ridiculous. They have to pay for the restoration to the country somehow. Their capital was completely devastated by the Horsemen. But hey, if the toll charge is too much, I can give you the money for it."

Now the grumbling amped up a gear and he finally refused the offer for me to pay.

"I hate being guilt tripped." He muttered, before swiping up the half of Star's map for the base in Wales.

Lucius had cut the original sheet of paper in half and had made several copies of both star maps so that we could all have one each. Considering only he and Gabriel were able to read the maps it was a bit of a fruitless exercise but I didn't want to the gesture back in his face.

Instead, I accepted my paper and waited at his side. Several minibuses were waiting outside of my house and despite the fact that my face was currently front page news and on every news channel in the country, the reporters were strangely absent from the streets. I took it as a positive omen as any dealings with the press were best left to another day.

Caspar came reached out to take a piece of paper but I knocked his hand away.

"No, Caspar." I murmured.

Instead of allowing me to dictate to him, the boy immediately set his shoulders back and lifting his chin in a stubborn gesture of defiance. "I am going with you. It is my right."

"Do you mean it's your right to get killed?" I responded immediately, my voice calm and collected. "You do not have the training that we all have. Allowing you to come along would be allowing you to walk to your death."

"Allowing me?" Casper replied quietly. I winced. There was an underlying thread of anger to his voice and I knew with those words I had completely blown any chance I had at getting him to walk away. "Have you not heard of free will? You may be some all-powerful immortal and I may just be a human but this is my decision, my choice. I deserve the right to face those who killed my sister. Yes, I killed the man responsible but until they are all gone I will not be able to rest. I am going with you and that is final."

Reaching out a hand, he snatched a sheet of paper from a quiet Lucius while I just stood there staring at the place where Caspar had been stood only moments before.

"He's right, Savannah. You may want to protect him but he is a man not a child you need to protect." Lucius advised, wrapping his hand around mine.

I closed my eyes and took comfort in the gesture. No matter what anyone said to me, I would never be okay with sending Caspar into battle. He had been through too much. He deserved some peace after suffering through so many hardships.

"He's been through so much. I don't want to see him come to anymore harm. He's finally starting to get somewhere with Francesca, I can feel it."

"It's his decision. He has to save himself. You can't do it for him, no matter how much you may want to."