Chapter Four

The house was oddly empty without Lucius there to watch over me. He had been my constant companion for so long, always there should I falter or stumble, that the house was just a shell of a home without him. The fact that I was the one who told him to fly out to America did nothing to ease the ache in my soul.

It was stupid. My heart was stupid but there was no stopping it. The damn thing beat for him despite how much I wanted to protest it. I wouldn't be telling him that anytime soon.

I took a deep breath and settled on the sofa, a mug between my hands as I stared anywhere but at the person standing opposite me. The photo frame hanging on the wall opposite was suddenly a hundred times more interesting even if I had yet to fill the frame.

I didn't want to look at her. I had not met her gaze once since she had stepped into my house. Damn Lucius for giving her a key.

It would be painful to look at her and yet I knew that there would be no avoiding this conversation. We had to have our talk and clear the air.

"Savannah, please look at me." Binah's voice cut through the thick silence, pleading with me even as I stared at the wall behind her shoulder.

I flinched as her familiar voice reached my ears but forced my eyes up to meet hers.

It was the first time I had looked at her properly in weeks and I could see the toll that this had taken on her. Her face was drawn, there were bags underneath her eyes and there were even a few new age lines on her face. She looked as if she had aged at least a decade since our last talk. It was stupid when the woman was an immortal who could change her form at will.

It took me a long moment to realise that the outward appearance was a reflection of the pain within her soul. It almost diminished my anger - almost but not quite.

"I am sorry I asked you to bear this great burden but I cannot do this alone." She spoke softly, her voice little more than a gentle whisper now that she had my full attention. She may as well have been shouting. "Please Savannah. I did not mean to hurt you at all. I need you."

I bowed my head, dropping my gaze away from hers. My fingers clenched around my cup. I wondered idly if the cup would break should I keep squeezing.

"I know. Don't you think I know? You would not have asked me if you could do it for yourself. You would have just left us all and gone off to die on your own." I shook my head when the woman opposite me tried to protest. "NO. You know it and I know it. You are a good person Binah but in this you are selfish. Your family loves you, we all do."

I bit my lip to stop the insults from leaving my lips. I could take someone hurting or betraying me but there was someone who would hurt more than me in this.  A heavy sigh escaped my lips.

"This will break Lucius."

"I'm sorry."

I cussed and loudly, letting the woman see the full strength of my anger.  I'm sure if I had the power to do it, my gaze would have incinerated her with the intensity of my glare.

"Save your apologies for Lucius. I don't want them and I don't need them either." My voice was sharp and my words cutting her deep with deadly precision.

Binah lapsed into silence allowing me a few moments to try and gather my control back. I knew that I was not in the best mental state and although Binah was a cause of part of my problems, she was not the route of them all.

"So how do we do this? How do we end your life?" I asked finally. My stomach protested even as I forced the words from my lips.

Binah cleared her throat and shuffled from foot to foot.