The Devil's Angel - Chapter 12

My mouth was dry as I awoke. The smell of blood was heavy in the air and my entire body throbbed and ached even through the numbness brought about by the sedatives. There was little light coming from the bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling just outside of the cell. It was so old that it emitted nothing but a dim glow. Everything felt stiff but as I tried to stretch out, a cry escaped my lips as the wounds on my body pulled back open again.

"Savannah, are you okay?" Caspar asked, his voice a source of comfort if this hellish situation they now found themselves in.

Closing my eyes against the nauseous feeling which had flooded through my system, I drew in a few steadying breaths before dragging myself across the floor until I was pressed up against the bars of the cell, the cool sharp metal bringing relief to my flushed and feverish skin while simultaneous cutting sharply into my skin.

Panting from the effort, I sat there for several long moments before I could muster up the courage to open my mouth and actually respond.

"I'm here," I croaked, my throat working hard as I attempted to speak. "I'm alive."

There was a hissing sound as Casper exhaled sharply. I could almost picture him, sitting on the other side of the cell walls, worrying about my health. Vaguely I recalled him face though the memory, but I did remember that everything about him was white, from his hair to his snow white skin. Not just blonde but white as if there was no pigmentation to his hair and skin tone.

"They'll be back soon. It's just before sunrise," Casper whispered, making sure to keep his voice quiet so as not to wake the others.

They were all sleeping, or at least attempting to get some semblance of sleep. I could hear their soft even breathing though there was an occasional whimper coming from the cell on the other side of me. The poor girl had been hurt so badly and even now, when there was a wall between us and I was nursing my own hurt I could feel her pain and agony. How it was even possible was something I didn't want to question – not right then when it could only cause more harm than good.

Obviously the inherent ability of angel kind to bear through any injury was not something I had gained in my new life. Despite all of the wounds I had received in my past, I felt weaker and more defeated now that I ever had in my life. Even when I was going through labour waiting for Marianna to come and help me through it and the doctors were telling me Danny's cord was wrapped around his neck. Even then, when I was helpless to do anything but push and pray, I had never felt as helpless as I was then. I was bound by nothing but a metal wristband and yet it felt like the odds were truly stacked up against us.

It took about twenty minutes before the heavy door clanked and then the sound of footsteps greeted us. I held my breath and closed my eyes, praying that they weren't coming for me. But they did. Several sets of feet clomped up the corridor before coming halt just inches from my head. I had been stupid, resting too close the bars and leaving myself vulnerable.

CLANG.

I jumped as a metal baton struck the bars just inches from where my face rest against the metal. The sharp edges of the metal sliced into my cheeks creating ribbons of red in my skin. If I survived this place I would be leaving with scars and lots of them.

"Ah you are awake, Miss Holmes," the Mad Doctor remarked, staring down at me with a smile which did nothing but chill me down to my bones. "Excellent. I just wanted to talk to my special patient about her lab results – as any good doctor would."

He smiled again and it was only strength of will which kept me from shrinking away from the bars. He was different to the man I had met. The man I had met was Mr Stavros, the man of the people. Yet this man was one of my nightmares - one who would haunt my dreams for the years to come.

"Do you know I ran every conceivable test on the samples you so willingly provided? Well I did." The smile dropped from the man's face as he stared down at me. "And do you know what I found? I found nothing. Nothing - unless you count a slightly anaemic quality to your blood. You sound take some iron supplements for that."

A frown had formed between his brows and there in the depth of his maddened eyes I could see it – his frustration. I laughed. It was hard not to.

"Let me guess, you're upset that it didn't unravel the great mysteries of the universe." I shook my head and bestowed the man my best example of pity. "Did it never occur to you that some things cannot be explained by science and DNA? There are things in this world that are beyond humanity. You are a fool doctor - a fool who is going to die."

"Is that a threat Miss Holmes?" the short man asked, his entire body tensing up as he looked over at his two muscle men.

"No," I replied, smiled even though my face throbbed from the effort. The man relaxed and I allowed him that small measure of comfort before continuing. "It wasn't a threat. It was a promise. You will die for the misery you have inflicted on others. Karma has a way of catching up to people like you. The only question you should be thinking about right now Doctor, is how long is left on your clock before death comes for you. "

I smiled as the man's face started to turn red, anger simmering beneath the surface of his clinical mask.

"I wouldn't get angry at me," I taunted, uncertain where I was even finding the words or the bravery after this man had butchered me. "I would be afraid. Very afraid. Death is merciless and you are well and truly in his sights."

The doctor stood there gaping at me for several more seconds, his musclemen shifting nervously from foot to foot. They were affected by my words and were uneasy, their gaze darting towards the exit before turning back to sneak a glance at me.

"Gibson, take that one. We have some more tests to conduct." The doctor barked his voice shaking as he did so.

I almost let out a breath that his white clad arm wasn't pointed at me but rather the cell beside mine. Almost – until I understood the implication. Someone else would be going under his knife. Someone else would have to endure the suffering and the pain; someone who was just a human and didn't have a knack for not dying.

I held the mad doctor's gaze as Caspar was dragged from his cell, his arms and body limp from the drugs they had flooded into his system only seconds before. His head hung between his shoulders but it was difficult to know if that was from the sedatives or the acceptance of his defeat.

As I watched the poor boy be dragged away towards certain pain, the mad doctor smiled down at me and there was nothing pretty about it. I flinched and his smile got wider. It was the first genuine smile I had seen the man give since my arrival in this pit of despair.

"Not to worry Savannah, your turn will come soon enough." He said politely, staring down at me as if I was a jealous child missing out on a treat. And for a moment I wondered if he truly believed it. "Tomorrow will be your turn to help our great cause. You're helping to protect the human race. Many others over the years have died to protect the human race from one enemy or another. You are one of the privileged few."

I bit my lip to keep my retort to myself. The man was insane. Anything I said would make me feel better but the effect would be temporary. It would only result in more pain in the long term for me and my other cellmates. The only way to truly strike back at the man would be to get out and to destroy everything he and his band of nut job muscle men have created.

"Nothing to say?" The man doctor taunted.

But I didn't rise to the bait. And didn't that infuriate him. I could see it there in his gaze, the frustration and disappointment. He wanted a battle of words. He wanted to lord his power over me. He liked to make others feel weak. He played good Samaritan to the public and yet here, in this dank and isolated place, he was doing everything he could to harm and belittle defenceless people.

My stomach rolled.

"I've rendered you speechless. Never mind," he continued after having a few seconds to calm his sour mood. "I will be back tomorrow for you and then we can see just how deep your humanity runs."

He smiled again, a full teeth baring smile before turning abruptly on his heel to continue with his made experiments.

Even as I slumped back against wall and released a tired sigh, I knew one thing with certainty. I had to get out here and soon because there was no doubt in my mind that by the time the cavalry found us, there would be nothing left to save.