Chapter 8: Crazy Train

August 3, 2025; 0104 HRS

Underground Facility: Sleeping Chambers

Noah Barnes was tossing and turning in his bed, groans escaped his unconscious mind. His eyes shot open, breathing heavily. Noah grabbed at his head and curled up in the bed.

He threw the blanket off of him and got up, walking towards the bathroom. Opening the door, he turned the light and the faucet on. He took a glass on the counter and stuck it in the cold stream of water. Shakily he splashed it on his face and refilled the glass. He picked up a grey pill that sat on the counter. The effects aren't working as well as they did at the start. Maybe I'll stay sane long enough to see them with their powers. He thought to himself, laughing quietly at the prospect of going insane. Shakily, he took a swig of water, propped the pill in his mouth and swallowed. He finished the glass and set it down once more. Trying to maintain his balance, he stepped out of the bathroom and looked at his 2005 version digital clock. 1:36 it read. How did time pass so fast? He wondered.

Getting dressed, he kept an eye on the clock. The minutes passed by slowly like they always did. He opened the door out of his room and wandered through the facility to see if the young soon-to-be heroes were still awake. Soon, he clambered to the Main Room's door, he opened it, peered inside and sure enough, there they were. It was hours ago that they had learned about Project Chrysalis yet they still sat there, thinking about the future together and what it held. 

>>><<<

Underground Facility: Main Room

0152 HRS

"I'm not sure how I feel about this place. It just seems too new. We've been here only 2 weeks and there's already talking of real, actual super powers." Syth voiced her thoughts. "If Ben and Noah are apart of it, I trust it." I argued, looking at my brother. Thomas nodded with agreement. Syth shrugged, a little nervous about the "blind" trust of mine and Thomas'. Ben knew more about this project than any of us. We may have our fights, but I'd bet my life to prove he was telling the truth. 

"Chief!" I said as I quickly glanced at the door only to see his face slipping from the doorway. A big thump sounded as I ran to him. "Chief Barnes! What happened?" Thomas stood up wildly. gazing out the door. Syth and I ran up to Chief to help him up. "I'll go get some water." Ben said and ran to the sink. We sat Chief up and he looked up at us dizzily. Ben came up with a glass of water and handed it to him. Chief grabbed at the glass and drank it down. Syth and I helped him to a stand and walked to a chair to set him in.

Thomas grabbed the cup and ran it back to the sink, coming back with it full again. Handing it to Chief, he asked "What happened, sir?" The dizziness in Noah's eyes faded away, but stayed there almost unnoticed. He sipped at the cup calmly "Sorry for the scare, guys." Nervousness fluttering at the pit of his stomach. "Let's get you your powers already, huh?"

We were led through the maze like facility. "Chief? Where are we going?" Syth asked. "We're going to the lab." Noah answered. "Just a couple doors down." We finally reached the steel door, Chief opened it and held it as we walked in. "Woah..." We said in unison. Everything seemed more advanced than I could possibly imagine. One of the scientists were testing a teleportation beam while we entered and it worked! There were four chambers set up on the right wall, tubes filled with an odd green gas clouded above each one. "What's that gas?" I asked. Ben and I looked at each other, like a deja vu moment when we looked at the gas.

"That, my friend, is Omnesium." A female scientist walked up to us. "Hello. I'm Doctor Athena." She held out her hand. I turned to give a hand shake. "Hello, I'm Natasha Rocket. Athena, like the Greek goddess, that's very neat." She smiled, nodded and turned away.