Chapter 25

JACKSON

Mom came up with the idea that we should do Spring Cleaning. One weekend in late April was always set up as the time when we would clean the house and clean up our rooms.

I made my bed and put some dirty clothes away. I usually just work on my room every year to avoid any contact with my family. But now that I'm doing better I helped Mom vacuum and dust some shelves before moving up to my room to clean.

I was dusting my dresser when I saw my copy of To Kill a Mockingbird sitting on the corner of my dresser. I've read it twice since I got out of the hospital.

I moved the book over so I could dust but as soon as I lifted up the book I saw that the unopened letter from Kim was underneath it.

Why I haven't opened it yet, I don't know.

I put down the duster and picked up the letter, eyeing it before deciding to open it.

Dear Jackson,

"I hate you..."

Those have been the words I've been saying to you forever. I don't know why I've ever said those words to you in the first place. I never hated you. I guess I was hiding my true feelings by hating you.

The day you first moved in next door is still sketched in my head. I was playing basketball with Trent and Chloe when your Mom's car first pulled in front of your new house. I remember seeing James and Jake step out of the car but not you. That was until your Mom called you to get out when I saw you for the first time. At that moment I knew you would have a huge impact on my life and you did.

The day after the long weekend ended you stopped me from bike riding to school by grabbing my handlebars. I don't know why you said it and I still don't know exactly what you meant when you said "Do you hate me?" I couldn't answer you but throughout time we just assumed that we hated each other.

As we grew older I noticed you have matured a lot. You still weren't fully mature but you were more mature than you were when we were fifth teen.

You got into fights and you were the most sarcastic person I've ever met.

I thought you were immature and stupid for getting into all those fights but that was until you fought off Jay for me. If you hadn't come around I don't even want to think of what could've happened to me.

After that the only times I ever really saw you fight was when you were defending me.

I don't know why you did it. You said it was out of respect but I knew you wouldn't have done this for just anyone.

A spark ignited in me one day when I realized I couldn't hide it from myself anymore that I had feelings for you and those feelings came like fireworks when you protected me from Jay and defended me. Jay never did that when we were together.

Then when you kissed me in your backyard I knew I couldn't keep it in any longer and I had to show you. That's why I didn't pull away or get disgusted. Kissing you set off a spark and I found myself realizing that I didn't want to kiss anyone else other than you for as long as I lived.

You've done so much for me and I can't thank you enough.

I love you so much.

Thank you for giving me a chance at happiness.

Love, Kim

I held my fingertips around my lips as I felt it quiver. I tried to keep the silent tears from escaping. This was like reading Jake's essay again.

I sighed and smiled as I folded the letter back up and back inside the envelope.

I thought about each of the words that were written on the page as I picked up some trash around my room. The words swam through my mind like fish. They made me happy.

KIM

I stared at the acceptance letter for days, making my debate. If I went to New York I could grow there but if I stay in Georgia those dreams will disappear but I would be surrounded by people I love.

I couldn't debate this enough.

I need to talk to someone about this. I put the letter down on my dresser and walked out of my room.

"Hey, Dad." I greeted my Dad when I got into the living room. He was in the middle of reading. "Is it okay if we talk?"

He nodded and placed the book he was reading on the coffee table. "Sure. What do you want to talk about?"

I sat on the couch beside him as I thought. "I have to make a very big decision. A decision that could affect my whole life. I was wondering if you could help me out."

He nodded. "Yeah. What's the decision?"

"I'm debating with myself about which college to go to."

He nodded. "I know what you mean. You don't want to leave Jackson."

"I really don't want to abandon anyone."

"I see." He stood up and moved over to sit with me on the couch. "It's a big decision. Choosing love over education."

I nodded. "I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Sometimes the choices we make could have little impact on ourselves but that doesn't mean it won't have a bigger impact on the people around us." He paused. "I know in the end you'll make the right choice. Even if that choice doesn't involve us. Just follow your gut. Go with your first instinct."

I smiled and hugged him. "Thanks, Dad."

"I believe in you." He whispered in my ear.

I pulled away and stood up. I knew what I was going to do. It was the first feeling I had in my gut. I knew my choice.

I put my hoodie on and walked outside. It was warm out but I just referred to wear a hoodie.

I saw Jackson walking out of his house with two trash bags. He was walking to the garbage cans on the curb without even noticing me.

I walked up until I was on the edge of his lawn and driveway.

"Hey." I said, getting his attention as he placed the bags in the garbage and turned to me. Putting the lid down before heading over.

"Hey. Why are you here?" He said once he stood in front of me.

I took a few steps closer. "That's a nice way to greet someone." I said sarcastically.

He ran a hand through his hair. "Sorry. Just taking out the trash. Spring cleaning and all." He paused for a moment. "But really? Simple question. Why are you here?"

I gave him a warm smile. "I'm not going."

"What's that mean?" He said and shook his head, his hands sliding into his pockets.

"I'm not going to New York."

"What?" He was at full attention.

"I'm staying here."

He shook his head. "No, this is your future."

I stepped closer to him. "You are my future." I leaned in and gave him a long soft kiss to show him I meant it.

"What are you going to do?" He asked when we pulled apart.

"I'll just go to that college about an hour away from here. Maybe I'll go there for two years and afterwards I'll see how I feel about going to New York."

"I'm happy about this but I just don't want you to jeopardize your whole future."

I smiled and brought my face closer to his. "Just shut up and kiss me."

I saw him smile as he cupped one of my cheeks in his hand and his other hand on my waist. I held him close to me, rubbing his arms as our lips connected.

This kiss had to be the most passionate kiss we have ever shared. It was full of love and joy.