Chapter 21

JACKSON

I've been in the hospital for about a week. Kim would come almost every single day. So would Jake and Mom who came everyday while Dirk would spend days and nights with me. He never wanted to leave me alone.

Dirk was sitting in a chair beside my bed reading a book as I laid in bed on my phone, listening to music.

Soon a thought came to my mind. It was a thought that needed to be talked about.

"Dirk?" I said as I took out my earbuds.

He took off his reading glasses and looked at me. "Yes, Jackson?"

"Can we talk?"

Dirk nodded and placed his book on his lap and turned to me. "Yeah, sure. What do you want to talk about?"

"College."

Dirk intertwined his hands together on his lap as he spoke. "What about college?"

"Is it too late to apply?"

A smile crossed his face. "Are you thinking about going to college?"

I shrugged. "I guess."

"It's never too late." Dirk said. "Graduation is still a way off but you can start at a community college. They will take you." He was quiet for a moment. "Where'd this sudden interest in college come from?"

I shrugged again. "I guess I want to keep my options open when I graduate."

"Do you know what you want to do after college?"

I shook my head. "No."

"That's the thing about college. That's where you get to see what interest you and find something you would like to get a job in."

I nodded. "Am I able to be homeschooled for the rest of the year and still go to college?"

"Why say that?"

"I'm not going back to school."

Dirk sighed and got up, taking a seat on the bed with me. "Why?"

I shrugged, not making any eye contact with him. "Is High School really necessary?"

"Jackson, what's wrong?"

I sighed as I felt my lip quiver and tears build up in my eyes. "I'm not going back." My voice shook as I spoke.

"Oh." Dirk finally got it. "Don't worry. Mr. Beckler is taking care of it."

I shook my head. "I hate that damn school."

Dirk pulled me into a hug as I cried. I hugged him back while crying in to his shoulder. "It's okay, Jackson."

"I never want to go back." I mumbled into his shirt.

"To be honest, I don't want you to go back either." He stroked my hair as he continued to speak. "I don't know what your Mom would think about that though."

I cried for a little while longer, not saying a single word before pulling away and wiped my eyes.

"Life sucks."

Dirk had tears in his eyes now. "It does suck." He wiped his eye, trying to prevent tears from falling. "I hate seeing you like this."

"Me too." I leaned back.

Dirk looked to the side before looking back at me. "We'll talk about this later. I have to go."

"No you don't."