Chapter 18

KIM

It was weird with Jackson not being in school the whole week. But the idea that I got to skip school on Friday to go to a photography seminar made the days seem a little less lonely. I was excited.

It was finally Friday morning. I barely slept the night before because I was so excited. I was even more excited that I was now considered old enough to be allowed to drive out of state alone.

"You almost done?" Mom walked into my room. I was packing up a few more things.

I placed my camera in my bag before closing it. "Yeah. I'm done."

She smiled and walked over to me. "I am so proud of you." She engulfed me in a hug. I hugged back.

"Me too."

She let go. Her eyes were red and puffy. "I just can't believe this. Next thing I know you'll be going to college." She cut off towards the end.

"I'm still your daughter. I'm not going anywhere."

She smiled and wiped her eyes. "Let me help you load up the car." She said and took my suitcase and I threw my bag over my shoulder.

"Thanks."

We left the room and headed down the stairs. The rest of my family were waiting down there.

"Have fun." My Dad said and gave me a hug. I did the same with everyone. Mom walked me out to my car and helped me place my stuff into the backseat of my car.

She gave me one final hug.

"I'm going to go say goodbye to Jackson." I said, pointing a thumb in the direction of his house.

"Okay. Have a safe trip."

"Will do, Mom." I said and walked through the yard as Mom walked back inside the house.

I walked up their porch and paused at their door. I waited a moment before knocking.

"Jackson, can you get the door!" I heard a voice in the house.

"I'm too tired." I heard Jackson say.

"Well, you're closer."

This time the door finally opened and Jackson stood there. He was still in his pajamas and his hair was ruffled up. He had small bags under his eyes.

"Kim?" He asked. I could see a smile forming on his lips.

"Hey." I said and kissed him.

"Sorry. Morning breath."

I smiled. "I don't care." I gave him another kiss.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well, I'm leaving now and thought I'd come by and say goodbye."

The smile on his face widened. "Thank you for thinking of me."

"I would never forget about you."

"Have fun."

I nodded. "Thank you." I said with a smile. "Bye. Love you." I gave him a kiss on the lips.

"Love you too."

I waved goodbye and headed back to my car.

Getting in I made my way down to Florida.

"Hello, Kim." Ms. Cole greeted me as I made my way over to the building that the seminar would be held in. Ms. Cole is the woman who's going to offer me a job in photography while I'm in college. I've met up with her and called her plenty of times before.

"Hey, Ms. Cole." I greeted and gave her a handshake. "What should I expect here?"

"The halls will all be lined up with pictures from the world's most famous photographers. A famous photography is going to speak."

"This is exciting."

She nodded. "Indeed it is. There are also people in there looking for young photographers. We'll talk to some of them before the presentation."

"That's amazing."

She motioned her head towards the doors. "Shall we head in?"

I nodded. "Yeah." This is the most exciting thing ever.

We explored the halls. Admiring all the amazing photos taken by true talent. I couldn't help but be attracted to the landscapes.

She walked me over to a woman who looked like she was in her mid-forties. "Here's someone I want to introduce you too." Ms. Cole said. We stopped in front of the woman. She turned to us and smiled. "Mrs. Allan, this is Kimberly Harper. She's an advanced photographer."

Mrs. Allan extended her hand and I shook it. "Hello, Kimberly."

"Hello."

"Are you enjoying the displays?" Mrs. Allan asked me.

"Truthfully?"

She nodded. "Yes."

I looked around the room before focusing back on her. "This is some of the most amazing displays I've ever seen."

"Glad you like it." She said. "Any works catch your eye?"

I nodded. "A bunch, honestly."

She pulled out a card and handed it to me. "Give me a call anytime whenever you want to show me your work. I'd be happy to give my opinion on them."

"Thank you so much." I looked at the card. "I'll be calling you real soon then."

She laughed. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Kimberly."

"It was a pleasure to meet you too."

Ms. Cole introduced me to all these amazing people who could help me have a jump start onto my career.

Ms. Cole and I looked at those landscape paintings and talked about them until the presentation was called in.

"Let's go in and find our seats." She said and we both walked in, going straight to our seats. People were chattering all around us. I felt out of place. I was dressed up nice like everyone else but everyone else seemed older and more experienced in this field.

Photos from the famous photographer aligned the stage. They were like the landscape ones I came to love.

Everyone clapped as the photographer came out. Everyone settled down when he started to speak.

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." He started off. "Said by famous photographer, Ansel Adams." He spoke for a while before talking about his own photographs. "I take pictures of landscapes for the people who can't be up close with it can still see it."

He talked about his career and his inspiration.

It was halfway in when my phone vibrated in my purse. I took it out and looked at the caller ID. Dirk.

"Can you excuse me for a moment?" I whispered to Ms. Cole. Dirk rarely called me. I didn't know if I should be concerned or not. I walked out into the hall and answered my phone.

"Mr. Leonard?"

"Kim." His voice shook a little as if he was in tears. "Somethings happened. It's Jackson."