Chapter 14

KIM

"No, you didn't?" I laughed.

"Yes. I did." Jackson laughed back.

We were sitting on the bench of the picnic table, facing the lake. His arm rested on the table behind me. We were talking about ourselves and Jackson brought up a funny moment from before he moved here of when he went fishing and caught a big fish. He apparently brought it home and showed his Mom. His Mom freaked out.

"That's insane."

He laughed. "It is. My Mom made me take it back to the lake."

"I bet."

"Did you do anything insane like that?" He asked.

"Promise you won't laugh."

He grinned. "Can't promise anything."

"We stayed at a lake house once and Trent was taking a nap in the canoe."

Jackson waved a hand and laughed. "Wait. Who sleeps in a canoe?"

"Apparently Trent." I said then continued. "I thought it would be funny if while he was sleeping I'd push the canoe into the lake."

He laughed. "Oh my God. Why would you do that?"

"I was ten."

He continued laughing. "You're more of a rebel than me."

I shrugged. "Well, maybe. Just a little."

He chuckled and leaned his back against the table. "It's a very nice day."

I looked around and smiled. "It is."

"One of the best we've had in a while." He said and looked at me.

"Nice day to come out." I said. He didn't stop staring. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Did I ever tell you that you're beautiful?"

I shook my head. "I don't think so."

"Well, I'm telling you now." He said and kissed the corner of my lips.

He leaned back and put an arm around me. Grabbing my hand into his. "How does this happen?"

He leaned back a bit. "What do you mean?"

I motioned to the both of us. "Us. We aren't supposed to like each other."

He smiled and put a finger under my chin, making me look up at him. "We'll make this work." He said in the most soothing voice. "I know this isn't going to be easy. But we'll make it work. I promise." I smiled as he leaned in and kissed me. He smiled and bent down to the ground when we parted. "Turn around." I was confused but went along with it. I somewhat regretted that decision when something was chucked at my back.

"Ouch." I said and turned around, seeing a pebble on the bench. "Are you serious?"

"Pay back." He said. "Now we're even."

"You're a strange boy you know?"

He shrugged. "That's what people say." He position himself next to me again. "I had to."

"I know."

He kissed my head and we just sat there for a while. "Man, it's hot out here." He said first.

"So?"

He laughed and stood up. "I'm going to go dip my feet if you don't mind. You can come." He kicked his shoes and socks off and took his shirt off, heading to the deck. I kicked off my shoes and headed behind him. He sat on the edge of the deck, his feet dangling in the water. I sat beside him and let my feet dangle off the deck.