“Get away from her!” He yelled at Kayla. “Man, why do you guys have to ruin someone’s life? She made a mistake, big whoop. We all make them so why do you have to bring someone down for your own entertainment?”

            I smiled a little but Kayla’s smug expression didn’t leave her face as she looked me straight in the eye and spoke her next sentence, “She deserved it.” Then with a turn of her heel, she and the others left me alone with Chase.

            “Uh, thank you…” I mumbled. “Now have fun at the party—“

            “Do you need some company?”

            I looked up to stare at him. The grin had returned mixed with something else in his eyes that I couldn’t quite put. “Why are you talking to me? Why did you stand up for me? Don’t you know what’s being said around school?”

            “Just because some rumors are going around doesn’t mean that they’re true. Like you said in the cafeteria, there’s probably more to the story that people don’t know so why should everyone freak out over it? Plus, I’m too mature to spread shit about people who are obviously good.”

            I turned a little pink and looked down but not before moving some red hair into my face to cover my tears and red eyes that seem to live on me from all the crying I’ve been doing lately. “Well, thanks but I think I’d much rather be alone.”

            Chase held up his hands in surrender. “Whatever you say but Peyton? If you ever need a friend, I’m here. I’ll sit with you at lunch, take you to school, whatever you need. I know that Dillon, Jace, and your friend, Lauren is it?” I nodded. “Well I know that they’re not exactly on your side right now but you can count on me.”

            I froze a little. Was this another one of Kayla’s plots? Did she seriously want yet another guy to screw me over just for some sort of revenge thing she’s pulling? I looked into Chase’s eyes but saw nothing but a genuine friend. Without warning, I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around his muscular torso that has come out of him from years of dancing.

            “Thank you,” I whispered. “You don’t know how much this means to me.”

            “No problem, Red,” He laughed at his little nickname he made for me on the spot. “You’re like a little sister to me and I hate seeing you hurt from all of this crap.”

            We pulled back from each other and he patted my shoulder before getting back to the party. I sighed and looked at my mirror, the lipstick still there so I had to go get something to clean it up with. After yet another trip to the bathroom for some cleaning supplies, I went back to my room then dropped everything when I saw someone sitting on my bed.

            Well, now Jace is here…

            Let me get something straight, I haven’t talked to him since that time with Cara. The message on the Internet means nothing to me because it’s probably another plot that Kayla made for my feelings to grow for him and leave me even more alone than before but I’m not buying it.

            “Can you please get out?” I muttered and starting picking everything up. When I was done, I noticed that he hasn’t moved an inch. “Now?”

            “I don’t want you to hate me,” He stood up and for the first time I realized that his crutches didn’t accompany him.

            “It’s a little too late for that. So now it’s time for you to… Don’t come to me,” I started backing up when Jace took steps towards me and not to the door.