Prologue

Kat

I walked out of the airport with my bags. It was a beautiful day.

I lifted my face and let the sun shine on my face, as I closed my eyes.

I smiled.

New me. New beginning.

"Miss West," someone called out.

I opened my eyes and found a man in a suit.

"Hi," I said.

"Hi, I'm Jules Bradley with the U.S, Marshall," he said. "I'm here to take you to your new apartment," he said.

I nodded. "It's good to meet you. Please, call me Kat," I said.

He nodded. "This way, please," he said.

I followed him to the car.

"Your apartment is about 30 minutes from here. Is there anywhere you'd like to stop by before heading there?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No, thank you."

He nodded and asked the driver to take us to the apartment.

We arrived in the apartment half an hour later.

The building was in a good neighbourhood. The apartment building was also in good condition.

"I hope you find everything to your liking," he said.

"It's perfect Mr. Bradley," I said as I looked around.

"Please call me, Jules," he said. "I know this must be hard for you. Starting your life anew once again. Relocating, but the worse is behind you now."

I nodded.

Yes.

The worse is behind me.

It has been for many years. But today, I'm officially free.

Free from the past.

No more hiding.

"This is the number you can reach me whenever you need something," Jules said.

I nodded. "Thanks, but I think I can handle it now. I appreciate all you have done for me, but it's time for me to live my life now. My life away from you guys," I said

He smiled in understanding. "I understand completely, but keep it anyways. Just in case."

"Okay," I smiled.

"Do you have any other questions? I know that they've explained everything to you before coming here, and you've got all your papers and bank information, but if you have any other questions,'I'd be happy to answer them as best as I could."

I shook my head. "They've pretty much covered everything I needed and wanted to know."

"Okay then. I guess I'll leave you to it."

"Thank you again," I said as I walked him to the door.

"No problem. I wish you all the best, Miss West."

"Thanks. You too," I said before closing the door.

I turned around and looked around the apartment.

I smiled.

I walked over to the window over looking the city of LA.

"Welcome home," I breathed.

It's been 15 years since my mother and I entered witness protection.  Fifteen years living a life, I've grown to know. But nothing can change the fact that I am... Was Katya.

Katya Cordova, daughter of Sheila Cordova and a monster I will never consider my father.

I shook my head.

You are Katherine West.

Has been for a long time.

I picked up my mother's picture and ran my fingers through her face.

"I wish you were here, mom. I wish you could see this beautiful city. I know that we left this place, because of fear of what Rivera and his men can do to us, but moving back here... It's my way of not letting the past control me anymore. I may have been fathered by either one of the Rivera brothers, but I am your daughter. Yours alone. I won't let him control one more second of my life," I said. "They have both been gone a long time. Rotting in hell. And so as all the men who has caused you and many people harm over the years. So now, we're truly free, mom," I said tearfully.

I looked back out the window and took a deep breath as I remembered the promise I made my mother before she died.

"Promise me, Katya. Promise me that you will tell her how grateful I was to her for helping us," she begged.

"I promise, mama," I whispered through my tears.

"Tell her that I'm sorry. Sorry for not making contact over the years. Tell her that I never forgot about her. Tell her that I'm sorry for betraying her," she sobbed.

"I promise mama. I promise," I said.

"I love you mi hija. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"I love you too, mama."

I wiped my tears away I recalled those last moments with my mother.

I will always be grateful to her for loving me in spite of how she came to conceive me. She protected me and loved me with everything she is, and I love her just the same.

I know that she will never truly be at peace until she has Lia's forgiveness. So whatever it takes, I'll find a way to talk to her.

"I promise mama. I promise to tell Lia everything," I said out loud.

I don't know how or when, but I will.

*****
I hope you like this little prologue to the story!

For more updates please follow me on my Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/pages/Amateurromancewriter/508938475926230