Chapter 7: Tragic Hero

When a Swan Drowns

[BEN Drowned Fanfic/ Romance]

Chapter 7: Tragic Hero

Time posted: June 21 20XX---6:05 am

Pauline Victoria Deverell here, folks. You got it, I’m still alive.

I’m sorry if it took me a long while before I can reply to your messages. I’ll be giving out replies soon, just let me have a moment to hug my laptop because I got hospitalized for almost three days, and I just got home last night.

It’s not new, isn’t it? But missing a hacker’s company is certainly new.

Again, I got a weird dream in the hospital, the second night after I got confined. Well, most of my dreams are nonsensical, but this one is different. I always classify it as one whenever it was related to that petite (with emphasis here, lol) hacker, since I know he’s the only terrible guy who can do such. But this time, I don’t really know if Ben had something to do with it. Lately, 5 in the morning and he paid me a visit, I told him of what I had actually dreamt, and he looked aghast.

Yep. Horrified. If he was pale, he looked a few shades paler.

His reaction could have been funny, but I’m still ‘kindhearted’ (*cough*) enough not to tease him on the spot (maybe later in Cleverbot when things simmered down). That was so unlike him. He just told me that he had nothing to do with it, it was just a dream because of my hyperventilating sleeping patterns, and it’s not my business to know. He really loves denying, but he was never good at it. Before I can ask him more questions, he instructed me to drop the subject.

 The dream basically started in the Town, where everything seemed deserted. I opened my eyes to see Skull Kid who was holding my hand, and I was involuntarily walking with him in winding dark alleys, which barely made sense to me. Only the cricket songs pierced the ever so awkward silence, and for the first time, Skull Kid didn’t seem to be a pyromaniac, Link-burning antagonist. Later in the scenes, we came across the Happy Mask Salesman in a random place and his eternally fixed grin creeped me out even in my dreams. Just remembering that I met him up close doesn’t feel good at all. After some nonsensical talking, he eventually gave me the Zora Mask, which was kind of surprising. But when I received it in my hands, it crumbled into a useless pile of dust that sifted between my fingers.

A horrible depression struck me momentarily, and I panicked, wondering what will Link use. Skull Kid decided to get a move on, until we came into this certain moonlit lake that kept on appearing repeatedly in my dreams. By that time, the silence was now deafening. No crickets, no background music, no healing song played in reverse. It seemed that the world itself was holding its breath nervously, anticipating the things that were about to happen.

We inched closer to the lake’s grassy beach, the tall grass nearly covering away the concrete pavement beside it. The sparkling water was a comfort to see in the acrid silence. Even with the pressing quietness, the serenity of the area was breathtaking. I looked down at my reflection in the tranquil waters, gazing my reflection and the detailed attire of the white swan, along with my scarlet ballet shoes that were still stitched into my legs. I was half expecting Ben to be here, to meet us unexpectedly, or witness Link to drown again, but aside from us, there’s no other human life present. In my peripheral vision, I saw Skull Kid gradually pried his mask off his face. I didn’t give much attention at first, because I was busy travelling my gaze around the place, until when he was finally done, the next result made me do a double take.

Suddenly standing in his place was my brother.

It suddenly reminded me of the last trick or treating that he did two years ago, before he decided to stop. Thankfully, at that moment he was already dressed decently in an ordinary black Escape the Fate t-shirt and denim jeans (because imagining him right now in a fantasy outfit was really awkward and a huge headache). Nevertheless, seeing him with that desolate look in his face was disheartening.  Since we are twins, we look very much alike, and it seemed to me that he just spent the whole time crying all the way he brought me there.