I'm Barely Breathing

*Eh, don't ask why I have the same song on. It'll be this way for every chapter. I wonder why you're so surprised.*

Hanji's phone rang, it was on speaker-phone so I would be able to hear the conversation they would have. We had also moved to the disabled toilet for a bit more privacy.

"You sure you don't wanna talk to him?" she asked. Although I did want to talk to him, I knew I couldn't .

"No, if he doesn't know me, it's for a reason."

The ringing ended and I heard his voice, although it sounded a bit strange through the phone, it was still as beautiful as ever.

"Hey Hanji, what's up?"  he asked, he sounded so calm. Hanji had prepared what to say, in case he had forgotten.

"Hey Eren, I'm sorry but I just had a weird dream, there were these amazing giants called titansthat ate people ."

"Okay, I guess that's pretty cool? Why do I need to know, does it have something to do with my anger issues because I haven't bitten anyone since I was 5."

"What? No, just you were in it, along with Levi."

"Levi? Do I know him?" That question hurt me deep, the fact that Eren didn't know me was heartbreaking.

"Oh, um, maybe? I don't know. But how have you been? How have your friends been?" Hanji asked happily, of course she was unaware of who Eren was friends with in this world.

"Good I guess. Speaking of which I have a date with Armin after school. Shit I forgot."

Hanji and I both froze. 

"W-wait, what do you mean by date?"

"Um, I don't know, the kind that a couple goes on."

"You're with Armin?!" Hanji screamed.

"Hanji, I told you like, 2 months ago."

"But you- I just- I forgot?" 

I heard the door open through the phone and a soft voice appeared.

"Hi Eren." it said.

"Hey Armin. Sorry I'm on the phone with my therapist." Eren replied. " Gotta go, see ya tomorrow Hanji.  Bye."

The line dropped, Hanji and I sat in silence. My heart shattered as Eren's words replayed in my head.

'In every world, I'll choose you, and I'll choose you over and over and over, without pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat, I'll keep choosing you.'

Then why hadn't he in this world, why couldn't he remember? Why had he not chosen him? Why was I tortured with the memory of my emotions whilst he could move on, and he didn't even know he had something to move on from.

"Levi, I'm so sorry, are you okay?"

I didn't reply, my head was in my hands, I sat silently. 

"Levi? Look, I know you must feel awful. But, I'm sure we can fix this."

"How Hanji! How did this even happen? Why am I cursed to have emotions for someone who doesn't even know who I am! I should've stayed dead!" I snapped, standing up and staring at  my reflection in the mirror.

"Levi, did, did you die?" Hanji stared at me as if she had seen a ghost. She shook her head and walked up to me. "Look, Levi, if we are ever going to fix your relationship we need to find others. We need to find others who remember."

I nodded. 

"And yours whilst we're at it." I mumbled.

"What?"

"You can't just sit around on your ass and ignore your girlfriend. Either you fall in love with her or you break up."

She scowled at me.

"Why can't I?"

"Because Petra wouldn't want to be with you for just any old reason."

Hanji looked down and nodded.

"I'm gonna have to face it sooner or later. By the way, did you hear?"

"Hear what?"

"I'm a therapist! How did that happen? So what, is it like Dr. Hanji? Oh that sounds cool!" she went on for about an hour even after I left.

-

We had arrived at Hanji's house since she claimed she lived closer. Her house turned out to be an 'apartment' and though it was small, it didn't look half bad. The carpet was a clean tan and the walls a white colour. Shelves with organised files and books. She even had her own desk, a slightly disturbing thing was the picture of Hanji and Petra in a green area. Hanji glanced at it before speaking.

"So, I should have a folder on Eren somewhere, after all I am a therapist and it should have all the details, then we can ask some of his friends." she told me, searching the shelves.

I scanned the files and searched the cabinets.

"Do you think the others go to his school?" I asked.

"Probably, he knows Armin after all."

As I scanned the books, something caught my eye, there were a few books with similar names that grabbed my attention. I pulled one out and was astonished at what I saw.

'Three Walls by Levi .R. Ackerman.' 

"Hanji, what is this?" I asked holding up the book. Hanji looked up.

"Hmm, well, I think it's a very strange title. Oh and look, the author has the same name as-" she paused and looked at me in awe. "You're an author!"

"Why on earth would I become an author?" I opened the first page. I read the start of chapter 1 and soon realized why I had become an author. Because I was clearly good at captivating the reader. No wonder it got published. 

"I found it!" Hanji yelled, holding a brown file.

She lay it on her desk and opened it to reveal a picture of Eren and some biological information.

'Name: Jaeger, Eren

Date Of Birth: 1998, March 30th

Current Height: 170 cm

Current Weight: 63KG

Diagnosis: Aggressive Anger

Educational Institution: Wall Maria Public High School' 

"Wall Maria?" I asked.

"Hmm, that's very, coincidental?" Hanji closed the folder and turned to a large screen connected to a slab with buttons on it along with a round object with two clicky things. She moved the clicky thingy, no, the mouse which caused an arrow to move on the screen. She clicked a strange circle made up of red, yellow and green with a blue circle within it. 

"How do you know what to do?"

She shrugged, a large word; Google, appeared, underneath was a clear bar. Her hands moved over the slab and pushed the buttons to spell; Wall Maria Public High School and the screen changed to a different page which I assumed was the school website. After a short time of searching through it we found a list of people aged 15, Sophomores, people aged 16, Juniors and people aged 17, Seniors. 

"Well, let's see okay write this down." Hanji told me, though I didn't like the idea of Hanji bossing me around, I did so either way. "So, in Sophomores we have Mikasa Ackerman, Armin Arlert, obviously, and Eren Jaeger. Plus Jean Kirstein, Christa Lenz and Connie Springer. I don't recognise anyone else. Juniors Sasha Braus and Annie Leonhart? How'd she get out of that crystal. Oh and Seniors, Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover. I think that's it."

"So how exactly are we going to talk to them, I'm sure it's a bit like stalking."

"Hmm, Erwin said something about how you needed a new story theme, I think he might be your publisher. You can just say you are looking for inspiration, I'm sure you can get in."

"Well, you are coming with me." I ordered, pulling my jacket on. "And get directions for the school."

"Sure thing."

*So, I am sad now.*