"Youre doing it wrong."

Weeks passed without incident from the newcomer, though for quite some time he was the talk of the place. With a bow always strapped to his back, and a quiver full of arrows, he stuck out as a fighter. Even in the heat he wore a red scarf that never left his sight. He had brought with him, a fight that nobody else had seen in someone so young. He could be found, sitting near the sheriffs young son, the two laughing and genuinely enjoying each others presence. He even offered to teach some of Carol's reading classes, which Carl still refused to go to, despite his like for Tristan.

The two had grown close in a matter of days, and they had even shared bunks (though that was mostly because Rick wanted a close eye kept on the boy). And as they sat playing cards, Rick watched from afar, using a knife to dig at the dirt under s fingernails.

"You keep watching that boy like he is going to explode." Michonne said, coming up behind the watchful blue eyed leader.

"I just keep getting the feeling that he is hiding something." Rick spoke honestly as he watched his son smack Tristan's arm playfully.

"What would he be hiding?" Michonne asked, moving to stand next to him.

"I don't know." Rick asked, his eyes landing on the crimson scarf around the boys neck. "I just feel like it's huge."

Carl shook his head at Tristan, who was chuckling at him. They were playing a game of spoons, which Tristan was currently trying to teach him.

"So when I have four of a kind then I grab a spoon?" Carl asked, staring at the four 8's in his hand.

"Yeah." Tristan said, looking at the three 4's in his hand, desperate to get the fourth one.

"Then I win!" Carl said, placing down his cards, and reaching for the spoon. Before he could get it, Tristan's hand reached out and snatched the spoon.

"Hey, that's not fair! I got four of a kind!" Carl said, looking at the three 4's on the table. "You only got three!"

"The rules say that you can steal a spoon." Tristan said, placing down the spoon again." Just as long as someone else has four of a kind."

"Right." Carl said with a doubtful nod. "But you didn't say that."

"Well, now it's a rule." Tristan said, beginning to shuffle the cards.

"I don't want to play this game anymore." Carl said, biting his lip as he stared at Tristan.

"Well what do you want to play?" Tristan asked, placing his deck back on the table.

"Can you show me that cloud watching game again?" Carl asked.

"The one where you just sit and name the shapes of clouds?" Tristan asked, raising his eyebrow at the boy across hpfrom him.

"Yeah, that one." Carl said standing up.

"Why can't you do that one alone?" Tristan asked, watching as Carl walked past him.

"Because my imagination sucks." Carl said, gesturing for Tristan to follow him.

Tristan followed, slinging his bow across his back. Rick squinted his eyes as the boy turned to follow his son out of view.

Tristan trudged after Carl.

"Where are we going?" Tristan asked after a few seconds of silence.

"I found this the other night while I was," Carl said, pausing for a few seconds. "Patrolling."

"Why were you patrolling at night?" Tristan asked, coming to a stop a few feet behind Carl.

"I was looking for a place to hide in case the Governor ever came back. I could shoot him from far enough away." Carl said, before he began to climb on the wall.

If one wasn't paying attention, they wouldn't see how some bricks jutted out of the wall further than the other, making a perfect path to climb to the top of the prison building area that was otherwise, inaccessible.

Tristan stared as Carl pulled myself up on the top of the building, then waited a few seconds. When Carl poked his head back over the edge and gesture for Tristan to follow him.

The brown haired boy, shook his head before taking a few steps back, then ran at the wall. It took him a lot less time than Carl to climb, his body moving with a grace that must have been perfected over time.

"How do you climb so fast?" Carl asked when the boy easily pulled himself over the edge and moved to survey the rest of the prison.

"It's how I survived a lot of the time. Walkers can't bite what they can't eat, so I used to sleep in trees, then if too many gathered, I would just jump to a different one, and then another until I as far enough to jump down." Tristan said shrugging nonchalantly as one hand came to rub the other and he shifted his weight.

"I tried sleeping in a tree once, but I fell out." Carl said, coming to stand beside him, almost mirroring his action.

"If you fall out, then you're doing it wrong." Tristan said in a light voice. "I'll have to show you one day."

Carl nodded, as he looked down at the prison grounds, and out above their home.

"So what do you think that one looks like?" Tristan asked, pointing at a small cloud that was floating gently. He had taken a few steps back and was now sitting on the floor, staring up at the sky.

Carl took a step back and looked at the cloud Tristan had gestured to.

"Um, it looks like a horse." Carl said, moving to sit next to him.

"I was thinking it looked more like a cow." Tristan said, tilting his head, trying to see the horse figure Carl did.

"What about that one?" Carl asked, pointing to one that seemed to be floating closer to them.

"It looks like a baby riding a seal." Tristan said with a chuckle. Carl chuckled with him. "What do you see?"

Carl paused for a few seconds.

"I see a heart."

Though Tristan didn't notice it, Carl didn't stare at the clouds that much the rest of the time they were up on the roof. He watched with happiness as Tristan enjoyed looking at the clouds that day.