"Don't you dare die"

Carl moved quickly down the hallways of the prison. His father and Carol had left for some sort of medicine that would help everyone. Even Tristan. But in order for that to happen, they had to make sure that they survived that long. Carl was given the task of watching over everybody else. And he was going to take it seriously.

Carl came around the corner just as Hershel was about to exit.

"Where are you going?" He asked, causing the old man to stop in his tracks, and turn to look at Carl.

"I'm going to find an herb, that grows just outside the wall." He said. "It will help lower the fevers of the people, and quite possibly, save their lives."

Carl stared at him for a few seconds.

"Okay, but I'm coming with you." He said.

"Now I can't let you do that." Hershel replied, looking at the boy seriously.

"Tristan's in there, and this flu could spread to everyone else in the prison, including Judith." He said. "I HAVE to go with you."

Hershel sighed as he stared at Carl, silently for a few seconds before giving a silent nod.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"So what's going on between you and Tristan?" asked Hershel.

"Well," Carl began. "it's weird. When I'm with him, all I wanna do is hold him, and when he's gone, all I can think about is kissing him."

Hershel nodded.

"Well this world is so messed up right now, I don't think anyone being gay is gonna be the end of the it." Hershel said. Carl nodded as Hershel continued to fill up his bag.  He turned as a noise filled the silence. He started to raise his gun when Hershel stopped him.

"We don't need to kill them all." He said.

"Tristan says that getting rid of them right now is a good thing." He started. "It puts them out of their misery."

Hershel stared for a few seconds, before nodding and turning away, letting Carl shoot the creature between it's eyes.

"Tristan has an interesting philosophy."  Hershel said, looking straight ahead.

"He's an interesting guy." Carl said with a smile.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Tristan sipped at his tea, not making eye contact with Hershel, before a hacking cough raked through him. Hershel looked away from him.

"What's wrong?" Tristan asked, smiling weakly. "Never seen a dying man?" he proceeded with a chuckle.

"Never seen one so young." Hershel said through his mask, tilting his head as he watched the way Tristan wiped the sweat from his brow feverishly.

"Oh." Tristan said with a nod, sipping at his tea again. "Well, hopefully you won't have to see this one die."

He rose, gripping the side of the cell.

"You shouldn't move around." Hershel warned. "You need to preserve your strength."

"I'm making my own strength." Tristan replied as he moved along the railing slowly, using it to support his weight.

"I've never heard that one before." Hershel said, smiling slightly as he heard Tristan's laugh. It was a weird thing for him. His laughter came and went like the wind.

Then he heard a body thump on the floor. He moved quickly and saw Tristan laying down.

"Glen!" He called. "Sasha, I need your help!"

The two came as fast as they could, Sasha's eyes widening at the small body on the floor that Hershel had turned on it's side.

Tristan's eyes were wide open and a small crimson liquid had began to seep it's way out of his lips.

"Don't you dare die on me boy!" Hershel warned. "Don't you dare die!"

Minutes turned into seconds as Hershel lectured Tristan about not dying, almost as if the boy could hear him. He worked away, even going as far as to stick his fingers in Tristan's throat to clear out some bile that had gathered up there.

When Tristan's pulse became so weak, Hershel couldn't feel it anymore, he sighed, standing to his feet, and heading over to get the stretcher. 

"What are we gonna tell Carl?" Sasha asked, walking after him slowly. Glen followed suit.

"We'll tell him that Tristan went out with a laugh." Hershel said, sadly. He didn't know what made him do his next action, but he turned to look at Tristan, just in time to see the boys hand reach up and bars for suposrt to lift himself up.