Chapter 16

1921 Ashland, Oregon.

I was painting again, something I did quite a lot. I would finish one painting and then start another. We were immortal, never died and never slept so I had to do something with my time. I suppose we all had our hobbies. Edward had brought a piano into our new home on the outskirts of the Oregon forest. He composed songs that were very beautiful, I liked to listen to him play the piano as I painted. Like now while he was a few rooms down from me composing a new piece of music I was painting the view from my window. I always did that at least once when we came to a new home it helped remind me of where we had been. Carlisle's hobby would be medicine; he always strived for the next thing in medical science.

Carlisle's aura entered my double vision, I didn't pay attention to it at first as this was the time that he would usually come home. This time however he had a yellow and blue aura with him. I got up and sped into the room where Edward was.

"You should go hunting," I told him. "Stay for at least three days. I'll come see you later," I told him. It had been three years since he had changed to a vampire but I didn't know what to expect with the person Carlisle was bringing back. They could be bleeding and I didn't want to chance it with Edward. I also didn't think he should see the transformation and be reminded of his own. Edward nodded and left the house probably having read my thoughts and then listened to Carlisle's.

A few moments later he came barging in the door with a woman in his arms. I had heard her screaming about a mile away before he got here so I knew he had already bitten her. He looked frantically around the room and only stopping when I spoke to him. "Put her in my room," I said and not a second later we were both there as he laid her down over the blankets.

"Edward..." Carlisle started but I cut him off.

"I sent him hunting when I saw what you were bringing home," I said gesturing the woman on the bed. Now having a better chance to study her she looked pale, which was to be expected. Both her legs were broken and her spine, along with other bones in her body judging by the fact that they were sticking out of her flesh.

"They brought her to the morgue right away. Found her at the bottom of a cliff. She was pronounced dead when they found her but when they brought her to the morgue she had a heartbeat." Carlisle explained as he knelt by her side and took her hand.

"Do you remember almost ten years ago when I told you of that girl whose broken leg I fixed?" He asked and I silently nodded as I sat on her other side.

"This is her. Esme is her name. All I saw when I looked at her was the happy, beautiful young girl I had once treated. She regained consciousness in the morgue and recognized me. I couldn't let her die I had to save her." He continued while I reached over put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Esme didn't move, or she couldn't. Her spinal injury had paralyzed her but that didn't mean that she couldn't scream. She did scream and hardly ever stopped. All the bones that she broke in her fall of the cliff were now being mended and put back together. I couldn't even imagine the pain she was in. When I had been bitten the venom had spread in a perfectly healthy body except for the burns on my skin. The pain of the venom spreading through my veins and the pain of the venom healing my skin made it even more painful. I wouldn't and couldn't even imagine what Esme was going through now. Almost every bone in her body was being healed by the venom. Carlisle hasn't once left her side and I had been the one to call in and say that he would be out sick.

It had been three days now and you could already see the changes in Esme. She was beautiful with a heart-shaped face soft caramel color hair. She was small, slender but less angular than most vampires were. I wasn't sure if it was because her transformation was not complete yet but the look suited her. She looked older than I was probably in her twenties closer to Carlisle's age. She still looked very youthful though, and even with her screaming I felt a warmth come from her that made me feel loved even though I had never even properly met this woman other than the introduction I gave her on the second day.