Chapter 12

1902

I decided to go through the ocean to get to America instead of running there. When I finally arrived I ran until I reached a town called New Orleans in the state of Louisiana. I ran through the city keeping to the shadows so no one could see me and came to realize that all the women here were wearing dresses similar to those in England and me. Well I was still wearing the clothing Zafrina had helped me make. Which consisted of very revealing leather and furs.

I broke into a large home just outside the city and 'borrowed' a very fancy dress of the woman who lived here. After that I styled my hair like the women I had seen walking around New Orleans. I walked around the house and eventually found money just lying around. I put it inside the pockets that were hidden in the dress I had chosen. They must be quite wealthy to be able to do that, which is why I didn't feel as badly about taking their stuff. Outside it was a very cloudy day but it wasn't raining.

I soon left the house and buried my clothing from the amazon out back careful not to get any dirt on the dress. I was reluctant to part with it but there wasnt much else I could do. I left just as the sun went down and I was walking down a busy street. Many of the humans stared at me as I walked past them but I ignored them as I looked around me at the tall buildings that reminded me of both France and Spain. My hearing flared with all the noises around me I tried blocking them out until I caught the sound of strange music. It was a series of notes in a swing like feel, rarely a few vocals here in there. I liked the different tune of it though and I was put off when it disappeared abruptly in some sort of struggle. I followed the direction the music was coming from. There was a blue aura in my double vision so it was a vampire as I suspected.

When I got there a vampire had just dropped the last of the three homeless men that had been the ones making the music. He apparently didn't notice me as I was careful to come here as stealthy as I could. Though he would smell me soon enough.

"I was listening to that." I called towards him.

He turned around towards me and looked me up and down but I was strangely comfortable with it as I did the same to him. His hair was a dark brown that reached his neck and his face was covered in stumble and he had a tall build. "My apologies Miss. They were annoying me." He replied with a small smile.

I raised an eyebrow"Im sure there will be more where that came from." I said.

"I hope not." He said taking a step forward and holding out his hand. "The names Garrett. Vampire extraordinaire and adventurer. "He introduces with a sly grin on his face.

I brought my hand forward to shake it but instead he knelt and kissed the back of my hand. "My name is Jules." I replied.

"What is a lovely woman like yourself doing out here all alone?" He said straightening up again.

"I'm just wandering." I replied.

"I see, a vampire with golden eyes is just wandering." He said with a mischievous glint in his ruby eyes.

I wasn't expecting him to not notice my different eye color, but I had almost forgotten about it myself. "Yes." I said not seeing where he was going with this.

"We'll, we have one thing in common then. You see Jules. We are both wanderers." He said taking my arm and looping it through his. I didn't say anything in reply and just went along with whatever he was doing. This man was very strange.

"You're so stiff. Loosen up a little." Garrett suddenly said.

"Excuse me?" I replied offended.

"You're excused. I'll help you." He said smugly.