Chapter 16

Everyone in the precinct lay on the ground waiting for confirmation to get up. I look over at Reniko who is laying on top of me. Not moving a muscle. I begin to shake him.

"Niko?" I lightly tap his face. "Niko..."

"Shh. Is it over?" He finally speaks and I sigh of relief. He lifts up his head and looks around at the shattered glass, and bodies in the ground.

"Yes. I think. Ariel you okay?" I look over to ask her.

"Yeah..." She sits up. "I have never dealt with anything like this. That's some movie type shit."

"I'm sorry I brought all this on y'all. I didn't know he was this crazy."

"Don't beat yourself up about it." She patted my back.

We all start to get up. All the officers begin to have conversation amongst themselves. "Is everyone okay? If there are any sustained injuries please let us know." An officer says.

The detective who was interviewing me came from out of the interrogation room. I know he was not hiding in there when he left the room before I did. This is why I don't trust cops. They are only for themselves.

"Mr. Ruiz are you alright?" He asks, rushing to me. "I was on my way out here as requested when the gun fire started, so I took cover."

"Yeah..." I dust myself off. "Thanks for finally asking." I say sarcastically.

"That sick son of a bitch did this?" He asked, already knowing the answer. " You should've gave us more of a profile on him."

I scoffed. Did he just try to put this on me? "What are you tying to say? Last I checked you were accusing me of burning down my own home."

"Let's not try to place blame here." The officer says.

"Officer what can we do about this dude." Reniko chimed in.

"Nothing. Are you for sure it was him."

"Indeed it was. He's gonna kill me." I sigh accepting my inevitable fate.

"No he isn't." Reniko says.

"Mario!" Ariel says suddenly.

"What? I'm telling the truth." I respond.

"Not if we can help it." The detective said.

"No offense but your little officers here couldn't protect me from that. What makes you think they could protect me from anything else? I don't think you all understand who you're dealing with."

"We'll do our best with your cooperation." He says and I roll my eyes.

"You have my number."

Ariel, Niko, and I leave out of the precinct. We all really don't know what we are going to do.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Ariel asks once we reach the outside.

"Yeah. Are you?"

"I think so." She says.

"I think you need to get out of that apartment. He knows where you live." I tell her.

"You're right. I'm gonna get Gwen and get the hell out of there. You need to get Jonny out of his place too." She informs me.

"I know." I respond, in my head I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Ariel says her goodbyes and leaves. Reniko and I head off into his car to go wherever we needed to be. "So where you wanna go?" He asks, starting up the car.