Roger and The Red Special Incident

Roger sweated profusely, looking around at his surroundings. His band mate, Brian was across the room, and the sight of him was making Roger extremely nervous.

No, not like that, you sicko!

Roger trusted in John's word of advice, John being another band mate. Unfortunately, the one and only Freddie Mercury cackling at Roger's situation was not making Roger any more confident.

Roger took one last breath and glanced at John, who gave him an approving look. Roger walked slowly to Brian, who was facing away, and tapped his shoulder anxiously. Brian turned around, looking at Roger expectantly.

"Brian," Roger sighed, feeling his hands begin to jitter, "I have to tell you something."

Wait a second... You don't understand what's happening here, do you?

Well, I guess we'll have to rewind then won't we?

Okay.

It was February 1984, and Queen was just finishing up working on their latest album, The Works. There were few things on the band's agenda, but the most major one being a recording for Hammer To Fall.

Brian May, their one and only lead guitarist, had penned the rocking ballad, and had included an intriguing guitar solo. Brian was still making a few touch ups to the song. Freddie was occupying himself by warming up his powerful voice, John was busy tuning his bass, and Roger was waiting in the back of the sound booth for the others to be ready.

"Alright," Brian said. "I'm all good for the music." Roger walked into the recording area to meet with the rest of the band. Brian continued proudly, "Freddie, here are some lyrics for you."

Freddie took the lyrics from Brian's hands. "Thanks," the singer said subtly.

"This is only a rehearsal, remember," Brian stated, slinging his Red Special's guitar strap over his shoulder.

The Red Special is Brian's guitar, if you didn't know.

A very special guitar he built with his father as a teen, you understand.

So special that Brian would nearly kill whoever had the means to harm it.

Anyway, Brian continued to speak.

"Since this is only a rehearsal," he said, "we don't have to get everything perfect."

"We'll actually record it a week from now," Freddie added.

"Works for me," John chuckled.

The four retreated to their areas. Roger sat behind his drum kit, picking his drumsticks up off the floor. Freddie walked to the microphone as Brian and John were already in position.

"It starts like this," Brian said, playing the first riff with his guitar.

And the band was up and away, strumming and singing and tapping with the soon-to-be hit. Of course, there were the usual fights between Freddie, Brian, and Roger (with John avoiding them completely), but Queen did get a fair amount of work done.

The song's rehearsing finished after a few run throughs. Queen wished their goodbyes afterwards, as they packed up their belongings. Freddie was the first to head out, then John, and then Brian. Roger was the last to leave because he had to actually put away his drum kit, since another band would be using the studio afterwards.