Men Must Love You

Start from the beginning

We make it to the main entryway our bodies turn to the testing room. My eyes stay on Oliver, I don't want to look at Jonathan yet.  I'm nervous, unsettled, I feel as though I shouldn't be there almost. I know why I'm here but something in me still...

"So are you and him partners or are you dating?" Oliver asks, nodding his head to Jonathan.

My mind goes on autopilot, "I'm with Bruce Wayne."

"I know what the media says, I know what he says and I know what you say. However, that doesn't and mean it's the truth." He responds without blinking an eye. Which causes me to roll mine, seriously?

"Well for once you will find the media knows best," a haughty tone laces my words. I turn to the testing room due to the fact that my facial expression might give a little bit too much away.

Jonathan is speaking to one of his assistants, rolling his eyes as the other one smirks. His assistant responds to Jonathan, double checking the file before nodding once more. Jonathan takes up the syringe. One of the assistants leaves the room and meets Oliver and I at the window.

"Doctor Jackson?" He questions, pushes up his thick black rimmed glasses, a look of surprise on his face mixed with excitement. His hands are shaking slightly, must be from the excitement of starting the trials, I can only imagine. 

I turn to him,  a mixture of apprehension and eagerness in my voice. "Yes that's me. Do I know you?"

"No, no, Doctor Crane has a picture of you in his office." I hear a choked laugh which comes from Oliver. He now can confirm his belief in whatever his girlfriend has dug up from background checks and hacking. The assistant sees my look of displeasure because he rushes in, "I recognized you by that." I nod, grimacing. 

"Mr. Queen," assistant finally acknowledges Oliver.

"Doctor Whild," Oliver's tone brightens and nods his head. "I should leave you now Cassandra, you are in safe hands." He puts his hands out gesturing to Doctor Whild.  

I face Oliver, "It was wonderful to meet you."

"This won't be the last time we see one another," he gently touches me on the arm and walks back the same way we came,his expensive black leather shoes making a slight tap on the floor. Whoever has him as a life partner is a lucky woman

"Is he nice?" Doctor Whild asks me, I move my eyes away from Oliver's back to focus on the other man.

"He seems it, I just met him ten minutes ago, I can't judge him based on such a short meeting."

But I can. I could say he reminds me exactly of Bruce Wayne, a hard exterior and a soft inner. I could say I know that his girlfriend loves him for who he is on the inside and the outside. And that tough exterior was just his way of dealing with his life and trying to keep the ones he loves safe. But you don't explain that to a stranger, you don't explain anything about your personal life to someone you just met.

"Am I allowed to see him?" I question, looking in at Jonathan, who has yet again stopped to talk to his assistant.

"Doctor Crane said not to let anyone interrupt him."

"And I override Doctor Crane," I hear Alexander say. I force a smile on my face before turning around, Oh this man. "I was not expecting you here until much later, this is a very wonderful surprise I must say." He smiles, his perfect white teeth glistening in the light, his blue eyes sparkling. What a total prick, the exact guy I would've dated in college, probably in a fraternity. 

"It's wonderful to see you as well Mr. Mohegan." My smile faltering at the idea that I have to be separated from Jonathan just a little bit longer.