Chapter 15-The Dress (Just revised)

Carina spent most of the day Wednesday at her apartment, with her parents, showing them what she wanted packed up so it could be sent to Ufa. 

They were in her room while she checked the closet one more time, when a box on the shelf caught her eye.  There was no way she could forget this.

Pulling the box down, she looked at it fondly.  It was just a square flowered box the size that maybe ice skates would come in and a beautiful name tag done in calligraphy on top that said Dimitri.  It was everything that she had ever received from him. 

She walked over to the bed, sat down and opened it, having everything bundled chronologically, making it easier to find any of the items.

The top bundle, which covered 20 years old to present, contained birthday cards, cards from flowers, some letters, emails and little trinkets he would pick up from his business trips. 

Smiling, she found the card he sent her when she graduated from university.  It meant a lot to her because it wasn't a store bought card, it was monogrammed with a D in cursive, the card stock was white linen and the writing was black.

Carina opened it up and read it again for the 100th time.  

Dear Car, I am so proud of you!  A university graduate with a forensics accounting/business degree!  I'm sure Boris and Nadia couldn't stop smiling as you walked across the stage to get your degree.  I really wished I could have been there but there was so much going on with my businesses and having stupid people surround me at every turn I had to deal with much of it myself.  Perhaps I should hire you so I know it will be done right, dorogoya?  Go forth and conquer and I will call you soon.  Much love, D.

She wiped a tear away before it fell down her cheek and onto the card.  Looking through some of the other stacks, she laughed at some of the things but was ever so glad she had these memories. 

Carina definitely wanted to share them with Dimitri when they got home and settled in, hoping it would show him how much she truly loved him and how important he was to her.

As they finished getting everything together, she instructed her parents to take what was left over for themselves and donate the rest to St. Peters. 

Looking around the place for the last time, she turned the light out, shut the door and went to make new memories.

Carina pulled into her parent's drive way, right behind them, and as they walked into the house together, a delivery truck drove up. 

"Good afternoon.  I have a delivery for Carina Romanov?" he said. 

Carina put up her hand and said "That's me."

He motioned for her to wait a moment while he went back to the truck and reappeared with the biggest bouquet of white roses she had ever seen.

He handed her something to sign, told her to have a good day and left with a smile.  Her dad held the front door open for them and they walked straight to the kitchen, where Carina put the vase on the table and immediately grabbed the card. 

A slow smile spread over her face as she read it. 

Ahren, you are about to make me the happiest man in the world.  Thank you for saying yes and agreeing to be my wife.  I am looking forward to making new memories with you.  I love you to the moon and back!  Di.

She showed the card to her mom and after reading it, she hugged her hard.  "I need to call him real quick mama." 

She nodded and said  "Other than your father I have never seen a man so in love with a woman Carina.  He adores you and the ground you walk on." 

She sighed happily and said "I know mama.  I feel the same way about him too."

Nadia came and stood in front of Carina and said earnestly "I know most people think that an 'arranged' marriage is very old fashioned and old world but I am so thankful that you are not most people. 

Of course you and Dimitri had corresponded with each other and spoke on the phone so your bond formed over the years, not like most where they never got to do that. 

Just be happy Carina, always listen to Dimitri.  He has your safety and best interest at heart and he loves you so."

Carina thought that last part about her safety was a little weird, but she put it out of her mind chalking it up to motherly worry. 

Dialing his number made her hands shake right up until he answered.

"Alexandrov" the deep disembodied voice said. 

"How is it that the sound of your voice just sends me right over the edge?" She said as he chuckled softly.

"Di the flowers were just beautiful and of course the card made me cry.  I miss you." Carina said softly. 

"I'm glad you liked them and it was not my intention to make you cry Car.  I just wanted you to know how I feel.  I love you very much."  Dimitri replied.

They talked for a bit longer, she blew him a kiss and told him she would see him at St. Peters and not to be late. 

He laughed as he replied.  "Wild horses couldn't keep me away."

When they eventually hung up, Carina's mom was waiting for her.  "Come darling. I want to show you the dress" she said smiling. 

To say she was shocked would be an understatement.  The dress was gorgeous.  Her mom had managed to capture the exact style she had always preferred and wanted; it was from the 1920's Great Gatsby era and carried with it the aura of that time.

The top was vintage off white lace that covered a satin bodice that was heart shaped and the skirt part of the dress laid in different layers. 

Carina and her mom talked very excitedly about the dress, her hair, makeup, etc. and then told her the invitations had already been sent out and that they had already began receiving RSVP's as well.

Carina told her mom that she wanted to leave her hair down, because Dimitri liked it that way, with a simple headband with a lace train. 

She felt simple was good as they discussed makeup, shoes, undergarments, something old, something blue, something borrowed and something new and then she said she wanted to show her the bouquet.

They made their way to the kitchen as Carina's mom retrieved a box from the refrigerator, opening it, she saw the most elegant bouquet of white roses, baby's breath and the darkest green greenery that she had ever seen. 

It reminded her of his eyes and the fact that she was so happy she couldn't stand herself!