sixteen

Kate

My mom showed up in front of me and Jake took my hand. They both helped me stand up and we walked in the room. I got to the doorway but couldn't make myself walk anymore. It was real. My dad was laying in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask on and a bunch of beeping machines hooked up to him. Some machines I didn't remember but I immediately recognized the life support machine from when Grant was here. I tightened my grip on Jake's hand and he put his other arm around my waist.

"It's ok" he whispered as I pushed myself to take another step. I gave up on trying to get by my dad and went to the foot of his bed. I stared at him for a while and I could feel Jake and my mom watching me. I wanted to say something but I couldn't move. I was frozen in fear. Grant's death was hard enough but now my dad? I blinked and turned around slowly. I walked over to a chair and sat down slowly.

"He's not gonna make it is he?" I finally managed to say. I looked up at my mom and she sighed.

"Probably not" she replied hesitantly. I took everything in the room like a punch in the stomach. It was silent besides the beeping machines until the doctor opened the door. I got up and pulled Jake with me by his hand. We got to the parking lot and Jake took the keys. He held my hand as he drove to his house. We figured it would be safer because of everything that's going on with my family. Jake led me inside and his mom immediately came to hug me. He didn't let go of my hand that whole night.

Around 2, we were laying in his bed just watching each other.

"I want you to know that you will never have to go through anything by yourself again. I will always be there for you. Whether we drift apart to the point where we don't talk or I wake up next to you every morning, I will always be here" he promised. I nodded and kept our eye contact.

"I love you" I said after a while.

"I love you too" he replied as he pecked my lips. He played with my hair until I drifted to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up to an empty bed. I sat up unfazed and looked in front of me. There was a teddy bear, chocolate, and roses. Confused, I climbed out of bed and made my way over to the stuff. There was a note in the middle of everything with my name written on it in cursive. I giggled at how fancy it was and opened it.

A little bit like Valentine's Day isn't it? I thought you deserved something special so I got up early this morning (if you consider 10 early) and went to the store. I'm probably not home now but if I am I'm downstairs. I had to get something really special for you. Love you, Jake.

P.S.: Valentine's Day is too overrated

I smiled at the note and put it down with the rest of the stuff. I went downstairs and found Jake sitting at the bar in the kitchen.

"Hey. You're awake. Took ya long enough" he said. I rolled my eyes and sat down next to him. He kissed my forehead and walked into the kitchen. He got my food and put it down in front of me.

"Thanks" I said. He reached down and slid a small ring box across the bar as I took a bite of my pancake. I slowly picked it up and opened it. I nearly choked when I saw the small diamond on it.

"It's a promise ring. On the inside, it says "Now And Forever" with my initials on the back on the diamond side. It says the same thing on mine expect mine is just a band and it has your initials" he explained.

"Oh my god" I was finally able to say. He took the ring out of the box and walked around the bar. He slipped the ring on and I just admired it. He held up another one that was meant for him. I took it and put it on his finger. I looked up at him and we smiled at each other before he pecked my lips.

"What just happened?" I heard Logan ask. I started laughing as I realized what it would look like for him.

"Promise rings. Don't worry" Mrs. Paul said.