fourteen

Kate

"Yo! This is Grant! Either I'm ignoring you or I'm busy!"

"Leave a message for my big bro at the tone"

The line beeped and I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I went to months of therapy to get over my brother. I hadn't called his phone in weeks. Why would someone mess with my brother's grave? Everyone loved him. I tried to stop the tears while I called my mom. She answered and I couldn't control it. There was a silence as I tried to hold back the tears but finally, I broke down.

"Mommy" I sobbed into the phone.

"Kate, baby, it's going to be ok. Freaking out is not going to help anything. Promise me that you will stay calm and I know you're fighting with Jake right now but baby I need you to stay with him. I don't want you and Kirsten alone right now" she said. I could tell she was trying not to cry.

"Momma" I cried quietly, acting like a 5-year-old.

"Grant's ok. The grass is just messed up. We'll fix it, baby" she promised. It took me a minute to process what she was saying to me each time she spoke.

"Ok" I managed to utter. Once we hung up, I sat there for a while not knowing what to do. I heard the door open and saw my sister's shoes under the stall door.

"Kate" she asked with a sniffle.

"I'm fine. Just give me a minute" I said taking a deep breath. She sighed and leaned against the wall. I cleaned up as much as possible and walked out to her. I slid down the wall next to her and we both just stared at nothing.

"They decided to reschedule the meeting" she informed me. I nodded and didn't tell her about what mom said. We went back to mine and Alissa's apartment and I took a shower. I put on pajamas and laid on my bed. I heard someone burst in the front door and into my room.

"Ethan?" I asked jumping a little bit at my door flying open.

"Hey. We're going to Cleveland" he said as he caught his breath.

"I don't really want to" I replied.

"Ok" he sighed. He watched me for a minute before I rolled over.

"I really want to be alone right now" I said after a long period of silence.

"Ok" he replied as he reluctantly left. I stared at the ceiling while I thought about everything. I realized that I wanted my mom. I packed my bag and found some flights to Cleveland. I found one for that night and called Grayson. He came over and I left without saying anything more than watch Kirsten.

I got on the plane and sat there for a while. I felt kind of guilty for just leaving everyone with no explanation. I decided I would call Grayson later. I tried to sleep but couldn't. There was so much on my mind. I listened to music while I thought about everything.

The plane landed and I got my stuff.