four

Kate

It was a few months later and I was super close with Jake and Logan. They had both gone back to LA since they were only visiting their mom and friends. The Dolans had also moved to LA so it was just Kirsten and I again. Our dad was starting to get a lot more strict and harsh on us. He had never liked that we did YouTube as it is. He had gone out to a party with his "friends" for the night so I was facetiming Jake. We had gotten a lot closer since we met.

"You need to come out here" he said.

"I know. We will. Soon" I assured him. He gave me a look. I knew why. I had said that before plenty of times.

"I mean it this time. My dad's getting worse and I need to get out" I said.

"I know. I just-" he was cut off by the door slamming downstairs. I heard things breaking and my dad yelling. I muted Jake and went downstairs to check on everything. I saw my dad had a beer bottle in his hand.

"Dad?" I asked.

"What are you doing up! You should be in bed! Go! Both of you!" he slurred. I looked up at the stairs and saw Kirsten.

"Are you ok?" I asked. I walked closer to him as he stumbled around.

"I'm fine" he said. He swung at me and hit my arm. It wasn't enough to seriously hurt me but it would leave a bruise. My mom came in and sent me upstairs. I started to go upstairs as my mom attempted to calm my dad. I stopped as I was walking up the stairs.

"Miranda! I'm fine!" he insisted as he swung his hand. The back of his hand hit my mother across the face. He stormed off to their room.

"Mom!" I shrieked and ran down the stairs. I heard Kirsten running down the stairs behind me.

"I'm ok. He didn't mean it. Honey, please just let me take care of it. I want you and Kirsten to go on to LA. Go pack your bags. I'll get you a flight for tomorrow morning" she said.

"But mom-"

"No. Girls, he's just stressed out. Between the new branch and your brother, things have been hard. Kate, baby, please" she begged. I looked at her and realized how important this was to her. I nodded and we went upstairs. Kirsten and I started packing. I couldn't sleep that night. I was restless. I looked over at my sister for a minute before I saw her move.

"Kirsten?" I asked.

"Yeah?" she replied.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" I asked. She agreed and I crawled out of my bed and into hers. She took me into her arms like our brother used to. She started running her hands through my hair.

"I miss him" I said knowing she knew what I meant.

"We all do" she replied.

My older brother, Grant, was our protector. He loved us and treated us like princesses. He was 17 when he died in a car crash. I could barely handle it. He died two months before we turned 16. It haunted my family forever. That's when our dad really snapped.