Ch.18

"Hey." Said Lucas as Maya walked past him to enter the studio.
"Hey. What are you doing here?"
"You want a ride home?"
"I've got another hour."
"Then I'll take you home."
"Then I have work."
"Right. Can I still watch?" She shrugged her shoulders.
"Nice shoes." She looked down at her dead pointe shoes. She stepped up en pointe.
"Now I can be tall."
"Ow." She shrugged her shoulders.
"So your going to dance on them."
"Mhm mmm." She walked into the class and Lucas watched as she and a tall boy with dirty blond hair took her hand. He couldn't help but think about how he wanted to take her hand. He felt better when they began to dance and he saw it as an act but as he watched the boy place his hands gently around Maya's waist, he realized that he really liked her. Like really really liked her. He wanted to do that himself. Their faces got very close as they danced.   At one point, their lips nearly touched. Then suddenly when Maya did an arabesque the boy placed his hand on her rib. She fell out of it in pain.
"Sorry. I forgot about the stairs incident."
"It's okay."
"Why don't we finish early today." Said the teacher. "You haven't given yourself much time to heal. Much better today. See you next class." And she left.
"Not so awkward anymore."
"I suppose not."
"Getting to know each other helped."
"Ya. I'll see you later." She turned and left.
"So, a ride to work?"
"No, huckleberry. I ride my bike to work."
"You've got to be so difficult." She sat down and took her shoe off.
"Your bleeding."
"Well, I've been wearing these for two and a half hours."
"Did I do something?"
"What?"
"You said that you can't do that to me. Can't do what to me?"
"I never said that."
"You said it to Mr.Matthews."
"He must have misheard me."
"I know when you're lying. Just tell me."
"You never did anything. I'll see you in school." Then he did something that he didn't understand, himself. He grabbed her waist and kissed her quickly but passionatly.
"I'm sorry." Suddenly, her face changed from soft and confused to angry.
"Don't do that." She turned and left.
Her first reaction was much different then the one she had time to think about. It was like she remembered something. He wanted to know what.