Ch.17

"What do you mean?" It's not like we had a deal that she was going to do something for me." Said Lucas in the history classroom after school.
"I'm not suggesting that. I was just wondering if you knew what was going on."
"Well if she said something about Lucas and then all of the sudden, she started lying a whole bunch to us, that tells us two things." Said Rilet
"What two things?"
"Number one, she's still being abused and raped. And number two, she's not telling to protect Lucas. Actually, three things. She cares so much about you, that she's just taking this." Said Riley.
"This can't be because of me! She doesn't care about me. She liked me in middle school but she got over it. And what about her and John or her and Mark?"
"John is like her dad and Mark is like her brother. She doesn't see them that way." Said Riley.
"And how do you know that?"
"I see it everyday in my classroom." Said Cory. "I've seen that group try out relationships that crashed and burned."
"Maya is someone else."
"What?"
"She is not ours. That's her group. It's just hitting me now."
"How's that?"
"It hurts." Said Riley. "But that doesn't mean that we can just abandon the fact that she is doing this for you."
"Stop saying that. Ya, this hurts you, but it hurts me just as much, but on top of the guilt."
"I wasn't thinking about that. I'm sorry, Lucas. Don't worry. You didn't do anything."
"Maybe just existing is enough. Wow."
"What?"
"I guess this is how Maya feels."