Ch.9

"Are you kidding me. Mark is not going to let us in their apartment." Said Riley , standing up out of her chair in her history classroom after school. They were discussing a plan. So far, they had nothing.
"I don't think that that's the where answer is, anyways." Said Lucas.
"Then where is it?"
"Her mom's place."
"And what are we gonna do. Knock on the door and say, 'oh, do you know why Maya's hurt?' Cause she doesn't even live there. Her mom probably doesn't even know anything about her."
"Katy cares about Maya." Said Cory.
"Then why's she letting Maya live in a small apartment with a bunch of other high school kids?"
"The day at her apartment with the yelling and then she got all freaked out. Her mom doesn't live alone." Said Farkle.
"She has a stepdad." Said Lucas.
"What do you know?"
"I know that if you touch her, she will be in pain, and she got upset about a joke about kissing her dad."
"She kissed her dad?"
"She called John 'dad' and he made a joke because she and John had
kissed. She got upset."
"So, her old apartment it is."
"Her moms not gonna let us search her room."
"She doesn't have to know that we're there. We can go when she's working. Maya's window is alway unlocked." Said Riley.
"Am I supposed to be proud?" asked Cory.
"I'm helping my friend."
"A friend that hates you."
"Hated. Not hates. Either way, I'm her friend right now."
"Let's go." Said Farkle. They took the subway and then walked to Mayas old place. When they got there, Riley pushed the window up and they got inside.
"Wheres the light?" Asked Lucas.
"Found one." Farkle turned on a broken lamp.
"Yikes."
Her bed was stripped. Two legs of her desk were taken off, causing the desk to fall on its side. One of the legs was on the other side of the room. On the edge of the carpet were a few blood stains. There was a broken baseball bat, too. The decorations that had been behind her bed were on the floor, the ceiling leaked in two spots and there was a hole in the wall. It was cold and extremely unwelcoming.
"What happened?" Asked Riley, pointing to the blood stain on the carpet.
"Maybe she just got her period on the carpet." Joked Farkle.
"That's a lot of blood so quit joking around and worry if Maya was in danger!" Lucas looked under her bed, Riley at the stuff that had fallen of her desk, and Farkle in her closet.
"I found something." Said Farkle.
"What is is?"
"A phycology paper on child sexual abuse." He opened it up and read aloud. "There is a variety of reasons that a child may not tell someone about the abuse. Sometimes, children don't fully understand the seriousness of the situation along with the arousal or emotional intimacy from the abuse. Abusers commonly bribe children with gifts and treats along with threats of what would happen if they were to tell. Much of the time, the abuser plays on the child's fear or guilt and make the child feel that it is their fault, so they would have no right to fight back or speak up to end the abuse."
"Who's her teacher?"
"My dad teaches a class."
"We should ask."