"You're not alone in this," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder anyways.

"What's the point in letting people in?" Steven asked, in a hollow voice. "Everyone just ends up dying anyways."

"You still have me. And Kylie. And Clayton. You still have your mom and the rest of your family. We're going to be here to support you through this." I cleared my throat, tears building in my eyes. "Trust me Steven, I know that it's hard. But if we don't stick together in this, it's only going to get worse."

He just shrugged away from me. "Can I go home now?"

"I'm going to veto that," Josh said.

Steven turned to face me, tears on his cheeks. "It's only going to get worse? Trust me when I say that there's no getting better. Watching someone die from cancer is the most painful experience you'll ever go through. And it doesn't much matter if I stick around or not, it's still going to happen. So do me a favor?"

I slowly nodded, feeling the lump grow in my throat.

"Forget my number."

And then he grabbed his keys and stormed out of the house, letting the door slam behind him and leaving an unsettled silence behind.

~*~

I couldn't get off of work early.

Steven didn't show, which just left Kylie and me. And Mrs. Wilcott had fallen ill, but she promised to be in the next day.

But that didn't help me today.

"Go," Kylie ordered, as soon as the last child exited the building. "I'll clean up."

"Are you sure-" I started.

"Just go."

And I didn't argue any further, grabbing my back and heading for Bryce's place.

I'd practically been living there since he'd gotten home from the hospital with his end-all diagnosis. I couldn't imagine not being there with him, missing any possible moment that I had left with him.

There was a car in my spot as I pulled up to the driveway, a car that I didn't recognize.

I parked in the street, letting myself inside.

Bryce was seated in the armchair, supported by pillows. And seated on the floor next to him was none other than Clayton Johnson.

They were, of course, playing COD, Clayton completely mesmerized.

"Hey babe," Bryce greeted, his eyes never leaving the screen.

"I don't appreciate the new nickname," Clayton declined, his voice tight.

"Not you," Bryce said, a hint of disgust in his voice.

"Oh. Sorry Sophie, didn't hear you come in."

I rolled my eyes, planting a light kiss on Bryce's cheek. "When did you get here?"

"I live here?"

"Not you," I declined, resisting the urge to roll my eyes once again. "Clayton."

"This morning."

"He missed the very being of my presence," Bryce filled in. "I warned him this would happen."

Clayton didn't comment.

I took a seat on the couch, patting the empty space next to me for Dawson to come and curl up.

After a few more minutes, Bryce paused the game.

Clayton glanced over at him in question.

"I'm going to lie down for a bit," Bryce stated. "You good here?"