Chapter 12: The Coughing Fit

Gerard is gone. Jackson is off in London. Matt is dead. What other danger could there possibly be? 

As I enter my apartment, that's all I can think about. We are safe. We did it. That's all I kept saying to myself as I showered and got ready for bed. 

I lay there, just thinking. I can't stop thinking. Not just about safety, this time. But about everything. How we beat the kanima. What happened at Derek's house. Hell, even Scott and I. Why would I reach for him? Do I like him? I don't think so, but Allison and Lydia think that I do. Maybe....

I am jolted from my thoughts by a knock at the door. I sigh and walk towards the door. Without thinking, I open it to reveal Derek. I blink a few times as he saunters in. "Uh...." I say, acting like a dumbass. 

"We need to talk." He says, sitting on the sofa. I shake my head and walk towards the fridge. 

"Want something to eat" I ask, taking out my phone to text someone without Derek noticing. 

"I'm good." He says, looking around. I send my message and walk back towards the sofa. 

"You wanna start?" I ask, bringing the cup of water to my mouth. 

"What were you doing at my house?" He asks coldly.

"When?" I ask, trying to avoid his real question. "I mean, tonight, I went with you and Scott and--"

"The night of Lydia's party." He clarifies, looking me in the eye. 

"I wasn't." I say, curling up. 

"Yes, you were." Derek says.

"No I wasn't."

"You do realize that I am a werewolf. I can hear your heart beat. And I saw the scar." He says knowingly. I press my arm against my stomach, remembering the cut. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I say strongly. 

"If you won't tell me that, then tell me who you were texting." He demands, getting annoyed. 

"My doctor." I lie easily. "I was talking to him before you came in and needed to tell him that I would call him back."

"You see, that's just another lie." Derek says, standing up.

I put my cup down and look up at him. "I'm telling the truth. I texted my doctor."

"And for what issue exactly?" He asks. "We all know you're dying, but with what? Not cancer, I would have sniffed it out. So what's wrong with you?" He narrows his eyes. 

"I think you should leave." I say, standing and crossing my arms. I try to seem strong, but I can feel my heart pounding against my chest from fear.

"Not until I get some answers." He slams the cup on the table, making me jump. "Why were you there?!" 

"Derek..." I say, seeing his red eyes come out. I back away from him in order to grab something. My hand wraps around something cold and sharp. 

"Answer me!" He yells in his alpha voice. He charges at me and I swing the object across his chest. I drop the object, which I found out is a knife, and run to my room, locking the door behind me. I back away from the door, reaching for my phone. 

3RD PERSON POV

Before Emma had the chance to call anyone, the door to her room breaks open revealing a very pissed off Derek Hale. He runs in and grabs her neck, pushing her against the wall. Her head slams into the wall, knocking the breath out of her as Derek's grip tightens. "I'll give you one more chance." He growls. "Answer my questions!"