chapter 1

Chapter 1

     “Annie, we have to leave or we’ll be late to The Smiths concert,” my little sister Lily called from down the stairs. I was still getting ready, putting on a red sweater and black leggings. I pushed my blond hair behind my ear, and then in front of it not sure which way I liked it better. I really wanted this night to go perfect; I was seeing one of my favorite bands. I finally saved enough money to buy tickets and I couldn’t believe I was going.

     “Ok, ok I’m coming geez, take a chill pill,” I said, faking a nervous smile. I was so excited to go, but now Lily was stressing me out. We walked out the door and got into my car.

     As we got onto the highway Lily asked, “Can I play some of my favorite songs by my favorite band?” I rolled my eyes and shot her an annoyed look. “Pretty, pretty please?” she begged with a puppy dog face. She often listened to heavy metal and rock that had too much screaming and I didn’t really want to hear that, but I did want her to be happy.

     “Ok, I guess. What band is it on this trip?” I asked, hoping it wouldn’t be Bullet For My Valentine again. They weren’t my favorite.

     “It’s this new band I’ve been listening to they’re called Motionless In White,” she explained while plugging her phone into the stereo system. “They’re a little hardcore, but I think you’ll enjoy them, their songs have a lot of meaning,” she said, flashing me a huge grin.

     “Oh, then I’m sure ill love them,” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. My sister ignored my snappy tone and put on a song. She was right, they were really hard core. “Ugh, lily, for my sanity, will you please turn that off?” I asked with an annoyed tone.

     “No! Please, just wait for the chorus, Chris Motionless has an amazing voice,” she pleaded, giving me a puppy dog face that she knew I couldn’t say no to. I rolled my eyes and let the song play, although he kept screaming a lot. But then they got to the chorus and I started to actually enjoy them. Their words actually meant something, not just screaming about dumb things like sex or drugs.

“I never had the words to say,

But I'll quote them all.

Precision with incision is a tedious remark.

With all the visions of submission of the fibers in your heart.”

     “What song was that?” I questioned with a grin.

     “It’s Puppets did you like it?” Lily’s eyes lit with fire as the words escaped her mouth. I slightly nodded my head, not to give her total satisfaction because I enjoyed one song.

     “Put on another one,” I commanded, and Lily looked like she could have burst with so much happiness. I flashed a big smile before as she chose a new song.

     “This one’s Devil’s Night. I think you’ll like this one, it’s one of my favorites,” my sister rambled with a huge grin, and I swore I have never seen her happier. I drummed my fingers to the beat and hand banged a little bit. For a hardcore band, they were actually really good. And their lyrics were much better than I ever expected them to be. Soon, we had arrived at the club that The Smiths were playing at, The Bottom Lounge. We grinned at each other before we hopped out of the car, and got in the line to get inside.

     “You have the tickets right?” Lily questioned with her big, blue eyes and I nodded my head. For a 15 year old that girl worried way too much. Soon the bouncer let everyone in and since we didn’t get there super early we decided to go to the back lounge area to avoid the crazy fans attacking the stage.