chapter nineteen

all rights reserved copyrighted 2016

chapter nineteen

Blue and I sat down on the blanket as soon as we got adjusted to the light around us. I laid down and peered up at the skyline, my eyes catching different constellations. I craned my head to the side and heard a dog howling in the background in one of the backyards. Cars passed by on the road that was off in the distance and the cold air around me made me remember that I was alive and that the burning of the cold air going into my lungs sent adrenaline rushing throughout my veins. I took in the air around me and closed my eye for a moment before letting my head drop in the direction of where Blue was.

He was looking up at the stars, at the galaxy above us, and I couldn't help but smile as I found that the galaxy reflected down and into his bluish gray irises. He turned his head in my direction and stared at me for a moment and he surprised me with what he said next.

"I'm happy that I met you, Azalea Greene."

I smiled softly, touched that at least one person was happy that they met me. I knew that others could probably continue on with their lives and not have to worry about having me in their lives. Still, even though it stung at that thought the fact that this wonderful human being in front of me was happy to meet me made me smile goofily.

"I'm happy that I met you too, Blue Majors."

I stuck my tongue out at that moment and he chuckled, the chuckle feeling as though it was a thunder clap in the sky around us. I laughed back at him and stretched some before letting my hand fall down next to me. There was still distance between us and when my hand stretched out I found that there was a good distance between Blue's and my hand.

Put your hand closer to his. He won't mind.

I gulped and let my hand travel closer to his. And he didn't even notice it until he looked over at me and flickered his eyes down to where our hands were close enough to each other that if he let his fingers stretch out they would overlap the top of my hand. And I was afraid, so afraid, that he would scoot further away from me or tell me that he didn't feel the same way for me as I was feeling towards him.

Yeah, over the past two months that I had been with him, ever since we first met that faithful night in the back of our field...I had realized that I loved him. No, not all at once, but when he told me that he had the same dream as me...it might have been there that I had willingly given my heart over to him without realizing the importance that action would have.

Blue didn't move his hand away from mine.

And that was enough for a spark of hope to rise within this little heart of mine.