Chapter Twenty-Eight

Niall guided me through the streets of Mullingar, his arm wrapped tightly around my waist.

Every now and then, people would walk past us giving us a strange glance but Niall ignored it, knowing the cost to his fame. Thank God we hadn’t come across crazy 13 year-old fans yet.

“NIALL!” A man called and judging from the clarity of his voice, he was close. Niall turned around, causing me to do so as well.

“Fuck.” He muttered angrily, glaring at the mob of paparazzi a few meters from us, taking hundreds of pictures. “Come on.” He said, grabbing my hand and resuming our walk but this time much faster.

“Hi Hannah.” Some 40-year old creep caught up with us and was now walking beside me quickly, his camera only a few inches from my face. I shielded my face with my hand trying to ignore them.

“Heard you’ve been together a long time.” Another spoke from behind me. They were all tracing right behind us which was starting to scare me. Niall slid his hand out of mine and snaked his arm around my waist, pulling me against him. I instinctively wrapped my arm around his own waist.

“Is it true that you slept with Liam?”

My body went limb. I felt Niall’s hand grip my waist tightly, digging his fingers in my skin. I let out a strangled whimper. I could feel how tense Niall’s body got as his muscles contracted against me. He was angry.

                The paparazzi got closer to us, shoving each-other to get the best view of us. They kept saying our names and asking us disgusting questions as they ushered around us like ants after stepping on an anthill.

One of them placed his hands on my shoulders in attempt to get my attention. But it’s not my attention he got.

“HEY!” Niall shouted, letting go of me and taking big threatening steps towards the overweight, bearded paparazzi in question. The lad kept his camera against his face, snapping pictures of the livid Irish boy now a foot from him.

“What, did I endanger your sweetheart, Niall?” He laughed, the flashes illuminating Niall’s face.

I took quick steps behind Niall, placing my hand on his ready-to-punch clenched fist. “Niall” I whispered. I knew his rage was primarily initiated by the Liam question. This wasn’t going to end well.

“I always thought Liam would be the most protective one of the boys.” Some man said, snapping a picture.

“Well, Niall didn’t do such a great job at keeping his dearest considering she ran off to the next cock available.” The pap that got Niall fuming snickered, about to press the button that will capture Niall’s reaction to that line forever. Probably would have been all over gossip sites. But that would not have happened. Because before the pap could even do such a thing as press a damn button, Niall punched the lens to his camera, cracking the glass.

“WHAT THE FUCK MAN?!” He shouted, turning his camera over to check on the broken lens.

I tried to hold Niall back, knowing there was more to come but he ignored me completely. He snatched the pap’s camera, threw it to the ground and kicked it with force against a nearby building wall. It broke at the contact. Before the man could scream profanities at Niall, he was pushed back roughly. Niall grabbed him by the collar and leaned down to his face.

“You just try to fucking break my relationship. It’s much stronger than your camera will ever be.” Niall spat before letting go of him abruptly causing the heavy man to fall to the ground.