Chapter Twenty-One

I turned around immediately.

"W-what?" I managed to choke out. My throat was tight and my hands were shaking. Niall's eyes were fighting to stay opened. His eyes widened as much as they could. He spoke in a weak voice,

"I, uh... I-"

The nurse walked in, cutting him off, "Your time is ove- He's awake!" She exclaimed, just realizing it. Niall was staring at me with sad eyes. He then looked down at the floor, away from me. The nurse shooed me out to take care of Niall. The door shut behind me. I was stunned.

"Hannah, are you okay?" Liam stood up from his chair and walked over to me. "Hannah." He repeated. I looked up to meet his eyes.

"I want to leave. Now." I said, clenching my fists in an attempt to control the emotions pounding in my chest. Liam seemed surprised, but shrugged it off.

"Alright." He said and walked me out of the hospital.

________________________________

"So..." Liam started, his hands tightly gripping the wheel and his eyes on the road. I kept my forehead pressed against the window. As I did on the way to the hospital. Niall heard me. He heard every single thing I said. Every thing I've been carrying on my shoulders for the past year.

"Talk to me, Hannah." He said softly, removing his right hand from the wheel and placing it on my thigh. My breath hitched at the contact.

"Please... I just want to forget about it." I pleaded, looking at him. He smiled and took a couple seconds to look at me.

"Hungry?" He asked and looked back at the road.

"Mhm." I said indifferently.

"How about we get that dinner we talked about earlier?" He said. I smiled,

"Sounds good."

Liam parked in front of an Italian restaurant. We made our way inside and immediately got seated near the back.

"I haven't seen the boys in a while." I said randomly not knowing what else to talk about. Liam looked at me,

"Yeah they've been spending a lot of time with Niall. I don't know where they've been today though." He shrugged.

For some reason, I had the sudden urge to tell Liam about what happened with Niall earlier. And for an even stranger reason, I forced myself not to. I mean... Niall can't love me. He can't. After all he's done, it has to be out of hatred, right? I hope that's true.

Still, I feel bad about not telling him that Niall woke up. I can't just not tell him that. I don't have to tell him the rest, anyways. It would be selfish to keep this from him even if he's bound to learn that Niall's awake anyways.

"You alright, love?" He reached over the table and placed his hand on top of mine. I looked at him bewildered.

"I..." I started but nothing came out. I shut my mouth, furrowed my eyebrows and spoke, "no."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He brushed his thumb up and down the top of my hand repeatedly. I shook my head.

"I want to forget it." I said "I just want all this weight to drop from my shoulders. Even if it's temporary. I just want to feel free, as cheesy as it may sound." I smiled faintly. Liam chuckled and pulled his hand away.

"I'll try to find a way to help you with that." He said.