Chapter 24: A Broken Alliance

Start from the beginning

I looked back up again. "Well, the least I can do is go and find her." 

Gale reached down and picked up his sword. "I'm coming with you. But not for you. For Willow."

Titus nodded. "Yeah, me too." 

"Well then let's grab our stuff," I said.

Titus walked past me and up into the tree house. Gale walked by me on his way to the ladder. I put my hand out to stop him. 

"Hey, are we okay?" I asked.

Gale looked at me. His eyes didn't look angry. Just sad. "You hurt her. So no, we're not okay." Then he continued to walk past. 

Willow's POV:

"I just want to get out of here!" Talon screamed, kicking one of the rock walls that surrounded us on either side. I sat on the ground, watching him closely. We've been stuck in the chasm for a week now. The only reason we have food and water is because of the courtesy of the sponsors. We also got pillows and blankets. However, it is easy to get stir crazy in here. We haven't been able to find our way out. It's very hard to hear the leaves rustling in the wind, yet not being able to see the tree.

"Where's Luke now, huh? He'll save us from being devoured by mutts but he won't get us out of this dumb hole?" Talon yelled.

"I hate to break this to you, but I don't think Luke will ever do anything to help you," I replied.

Talon looked over at me, wearing a shocked expression. "Wait, you mean Luke doesn't jump at every opportunity to help me out?" He said sarcastically.

I laughed and stood up. Talon walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close. He pressed his forehead against mine. The two of us stood there for a moment, just enjoying each other's presence. 

"We'll get out of here, okay? I promise," I said to him. "As long as the food and the water keep coming, there's no reason for us to leave. I don't like being stuck down here. But we're also safe down here. Tributes can't harm us from up there."

Talon nodded. "Yeah, I guess that's true."

"Don't worry. Everything will be fine."

Talon smiled. "As long as I'm with you, everything will be great."

I laughed. "You're so cheesy."

"But you love me," Talon replied. Then he kissed me. 

When he pulled away, I replied with, "Yes I do."

Talon put both of his hands on my stomach, which was getting close to the maximum size. "How many weeks is it now?"

"28," I replied.

"Wow. Getting close." Talon made eye contact with me. "Can you believe there's a human being in there?"

I shook my head. "No, I can't.

"What are you going to name her?" 

"Actually, I haven't thought about it yet."

"Well I have a good name for her," Talon said. 

I raised my eyebrows. "What is it?"

Talon looked down at my stomach and smiled. "Chris. Or Crystal, if you want to get technical. After the bravest girl I've ever met."

I smiled. Tears lingered in my eyes. "That's a great idea." I put my hands on my stomach. "Crystal. And her middle name will be Rhymer, after the girl who did one last act of kindness before losing her life."