The Rhino's Beeswax

Start from the beginning

"Shut up! Stop listening to me!"

I stomped my way over to the front, huffing. I'd better calm down. I didn't want these new people to think I was some kind of crazy steamroller. I imagined myself running over Yousuf with a steamroller. I chuckled and bit my lip. Satisfying.

The girl beside me turned to look at me. She smiled and tilted her head. "Hey there."

I tried to control myself and smiled instead. "Hi." Well, that came out really happy.

Her smile widened. "I'm Kendra."

I nodded, still smiling. "Iqra. Nice to meet you."

      "Same." She pulled a hair tie from her pocket and pulled her unruly brown curls into a ponytail. "I heard you're the new stage manager. It'll be a pleasure to work with someone nice. The one we had for the last play..." She shuddered. "Mean controlling bitch. Tried to take over instead of helping us when we needed it." A boy called her from backstage and she turned her head to look behind her before turning back to me. "Well, I look forward to working with you, Iqra. I'd better go."

She waved and I smiled wider.

"Ooh, making enemies already, Iqra? You're a mean, controlling bitch?"
I waved Yousuf off. "Shut up, I made a friend. She was talking about the last stage manager."
"Hmm..seemed to fit you to a T."

My smile stretched to enormous proportions. "Go away. I made a friend."

"Why do I feel like your happiness is coming at my expense?"

I turned to look at him, and shrugged, tilted my head and smiling sweetly. "Now why would you say that..."

He raised his eyebrows. "Why am I not surprised."

I pouted, shaking my head. "You shouldn't be. We both know I hate you."

"Iqra, you're killing me here." He looked up at the ceiling before turning to look at me, pleading.

My face stiffened and I let the smile drop, clenching my jaw as I stared at him.

"Good."

I turned around and started walking towards the director lady, throwing some last words over my shoulder. "If you remembered what a judgemental prick you were, you'd hate you too."

      I followed the group of kids gathering in front of a woman with shoulder length wavy hair. She was moving her hands as she talked to a boy beside her, her bangles clacking together. I took in her mid-length skirt, printed top and blue cardigan, bangles and high heels and came to one conclusion: This woman was a lot more confident than me. And seemed nicer too, with the way she was smiling at everyone and bouncing on the balls of her feet.

I guess that's two conclusions.

She clapped her hands and everyone turned towards her. She reminded me of a sparrow, darting around energetically. From the corner of my eye, I saw Yousuf look at me before turning to someone else. I focused the lady at the front.

"Hey everyone," she began, looking around at each of us individually. I shifted from foot to foot.

"I see we have a new addition to our group," she said, facing me. I froze. Err...

"Tell us your name, honey."

I gulped. "I-Iqra."
"Say it louder, baby. We can't hear you."
I cleared my throat. "Iqra. My name's Iqra."

She smiled, tilting her head. "Beautiful name. We're happy to have you, Iqra." She turned to the rest of us. "She's the new stage manager, people. Treat her well."