Don't Forget Me

A/N: As always, look to the notes at the bottom for any foreign words and customs! Enjoy! :) 

************************************

      I went to the library this morning to wait while my parents went shopping with my siblings. I didn't even want to come. I don't come anywhere anyway, so they dropped me off at the library and drove off. I watched their car leave before turning and going inside.

      I walked all the way to the back of the fiction section, trailing my fingers over the worn books I'd read over and over again. It was warmer and quieter back here. I smiled to myself before pulling a book off the shelf and settling into a corner, crossing my legs and leaning against the wall, the book resting against my knees.

I could hear people murmuring in the background and I slumped against the brick walls of the library, my feet pressing against the dull, patterned carpet.

     I finished half the book before realizing how late it was. Where'd my parents go? I reached into my pocket and my hand came out empty. Eh? I patted my pockets, slowly standing up and letting the book fall to the floor. Awww shitzle. I forgot my phone.

Crap crap crap. Uhh...

I put the book back on its shelf and dragged my feet outside, a pit growing in my stomach. It kept growing as I realized the librarian was the only one left in the library other than me.

She turned to look at me and smiled. "Oh! I didn't know there was anyone left. We're closing in five minutes."

I pursed my lips and gave her a tight smile. "Uh, yeah. Sorry. I didn't realize..."
She laughed. "We all get absorbed in books sometimes. Just be careful, okay? I almost left, and you would've been locked inside."

I nodded. "Yes, I will." I lifted my hand awkwardly. "Bye."

She nodded, picking up a set of keys and pulling on her jacket. "Good night." She looked at me. "Do you have someone picking you up?"

"Y-yes."
"Okay then." She looked relieved.

I waved and walked outside. Crapshoot. It was getting dark already. And we're in summer...it must be around seven or eight. I started towards the sidewalk as the librarian passed me in her car. She smiled and I waved, trying to act like I knew what I was doing.

Great fireballs. I should've asked her if I could use her phone...

I wrapped my arms around myself and wandered back to the library door. Maybe they'll be here in awhile. Any minute now...

The whole parking lot was empty, and I bit back the rising panic in the back of my throat. Did they forget about me? How could they forget about me? It wouldn't be the first time, but how'd they forget about me?

Okay, deep breaths. Breathe in, breathe out. I'm Iqra. Iqra. I can get myself out of---

"Iqra!"

       Yack! I jumped and turned around towards the sound of a car door slamming shut. A familiar head of red hair jogged up to me and I felt my face scrunch up into its default frown. I watched him approach with my arms crossed over my chest, trying to keep up the impression that I had everything under control. His hair was damp and stuck to his forehead, beads of sweat making their way down his temples. He paused to wipe them away with the back of his hand before he walked up to me, breathing hard. I raised an eyebrow.

"Why do you look like that?"
He blinked. "Like what?"

"A sweaty mess."
His eyes widened slightly before he looked down at me, smiling. Smiling. Why.