Chapter 1 ~ Hash browns

"Come on, please? Just this once?" Ashlyn begs me.

"No you know what day it is and I don't like going to them anyways," I protest shoving a strawberry in my mouth.

"Come on Maxie, I won't ever ask you again," she says in a babyish voice. There's this bonfire in the schools old baseball field every Saturday night. Last year a twister went over it and destroyed the field and the back corner of the school. They needed the money on the school more than the field. So the administration decided to let the high schoolers have bonfires there on Saturdays during the school year.

"You know I can't. I don't know why you keep trying," I toss the strawberry stem at her hitting her cheek. She huffs, slouching down in the chair and folding her arms. Her dark brown hair covers her tan face. Her blue-green eyes shot from me to her half eaten tray.

"I wish you would just quit that job, you're gonna get yourself hurt," she picks up her spicy chicken sandwich and glares at me. She loves chicken and any other kind of meat but chicken's her favorite.

"You know I would Ash, but I've gotten so far I can't leave now," I try to explain picking up some more fruit. She huffs again sticking her tongue out at me, then proceeds to shove most of the sandwich in her mouth. Her hand instantly covers her mouth and her eyes start watering.

"They really need to stop making it so damn hot." I laugh, taking the sandwich from her. I slowly take a bite out of it watching her make laser beams with her eyes.

"It's not hot to me," I say with my mouth full to only have her snatch it back. "Of course not you have no taste buds," I chuckle at how she'll never let that down. It started last year when my World History class won Papa John's pizza and I was dared to eat all of the peppers that came with the pizza. Hot food just doesn't bother my mouth.

"Leave her alone Ash, she can't help that her mouth is so weird," Mackenzie says plopping a hash brown in her mouth. Reaching over, I stole one, and threw it in my mouth. "That's my food, give it back!" She hollers. I lean grabbing the back of her head and kissed her, shoving the food into her mouth.

"As you wish" I say pulling back. She spat it out the food on to the tray.

"Ew! Ew! I hate it when you do shit like that Max," quickly grabbing her napkin to wipe her tongue. "Ashlyn you're not even doing anything about it?" Mackenzie questions throwing the licked napkin at her. I reach over, stealing another hash brown winking at her before tossing it in my mouth.

I look over at Ashlyn who is trying her best to not laugh out loud. "You're just jealous I didn't do the same to you," I say making her expression change. She puts her hand on her chin and rolls her eyes. "I don't kiss girls and anyways I have a boyfriend."

"Right the one you've only hung out with, like what five times," Mackenzie rudely says earning a glare from Ashlyn.

"You know I don't like him," I harshly whisper having her look at me with a sad face.

"I know but he keeps me happy," she says looking down at her food.

"And that's the only reason I'm not telling you to break up with him," she nods knowing that I'm never going to change my mind about him. "But if he hurts you in any way he's gonna meet me and how much of a-"

"Ashlyn!" Her eyes leave the tray and shoot up to someone behind me up. Letting out a huge smile, she quickly gets up from the chair and runs to someone. My eyes follow her to see none other but Jake himself. Her boyfriend. Jumping into his arms, hugging him tightly, she seems to not care about anyone else around. He had a smile on his and chuckles. I quickly stand up glaring at him. Mackenzie, alerted by my reaction, gets up as well to put herself between me and the kissing couple.

"Max sit back down, it's okay," She whispers, placing her hand on my shoulders shoving me back to my chair. I happen to look at her and see that fear into her green eyes. She knows I'd beat up anyone that hurt her or Ashlyn and I already don't like him. We proceed to sit down but I didn't take my eyes off of them. Ashlyn's sucking face with a demon, and it only makes the hate grow stronger. Pulling back from him, she pulls them towards us. I turn my head to our small circle table staring at my food. Ashlyn's chair gets pulled out, I look up to only find her on his lap. If it wasn't for her sitting on him I'd probably punch him out of the chair and tell him to move somewhere else. I don't like people sitting with us because then I can't talk much. I don't have a deep voice but it's not very girlie either.

"What are you doing here?" I growl low between my teeth.

He chuckles and turns his head to me, "Sitting with my baby."

"I meant here at the school," I say harshly while he grabs her waist pulling her to him.

"To see my baby," he says placing a hand on her thigh making her face light up. I shook my head standing up.

I bent down to Mackenzie having my mouth almost touching her bleach blond and red hair, "He's only in it for lust." Turning to everyone at the table, "I've got homework then I have to leave. I'll be gone before he's noticed and gets in trouble again," I pick up my tray turning around.

"Chillax bro just cuz I'm here don't mean you have to leave," Jake says making me stop in my tracks. My hands clench the plastic tray. I hear someone jump from their seat knocking it over. I drop the tray turning around only to see Mackenzie in my way.

"Max stop it, stop it he didn't know stop" Mackenzie says trying to push me back. I didn't take my eyes off of him. He looks confused but like he was going to start laughing. My eyes shift at Ashlyn, she looks scared and regretful. No matter how much I want to kill him for calling me that, my best friend means more.

I turn around again noticing every ones gaze on us. Walking around my tray and past everyone I leave faster than I ever have before. Which only made them get out of my way, scared of me.

***

I walk into the Dean's office seeing Mrs. Philip. "Hello Miss. Young, what can I do for you," She has a smile on her face like she normally does.

"Just signing out to go to work like I do pretty much everyday," I jotting down my name and time in the binder. Tossing the pin down and walked to the door, "And please call me Max or Young instead of Miss. Young. I really don't like being called that," I spook in the same tone. Placing my hand on the door handle I get interrupted with her high pitched voice.

"Miss. Jones I don't understand you. You dress up as a guy, you give off a bad vibe and you hate being known as a girl. You should be proud in being who you are; you should be proud in being a girl," I get this from her at least once a month.

"Mrs. Philip I am who I am. And I'm proud of being like this and I'd like to keep people knowing me as a guy. I know I'm a girl, I am proud of being a girl. But right now in my life, it would be much easier to just have everyone think I'm a guy. I'm sorry if that offends you but I don't want people to know that I'm a girl. It would mess up so much of my life and what I want to do." I say watching her frown and shake her head.

Walking out the door, I hearing her huff. I walk to the school doors feeling the cold Autumn wind hit me.