nine; push my swing

Start from the beginning

Lucas looked down at me, laughing lightly and saying, "What's up?"

"Shawn is gonna ask my mom to marry him!" I cheered, throwing my arms up in the air.

"Really?" He smiled, too. "Maya, that's amazing!"

I didn't know what came over me, but nothing came out of my mouth in response to what he'd said—instead, I jumped forward, wrapping my arms around his neck in a hug.

It was the stupidest thing I could've possibly done, but at the same time, it was the only thing I could think of. He didn't seem weirded out, though, as he wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged back. I blushed, glad that he couldn't see since I was facing the other way.

I pulled away a few seconds later, smiling up at him awkwardly. He looked down at me, just staring, his lips pulled into a half smile. We just stood there, and it was almost like the rest of the people at the park didn't even exist—it was just Lucas and I, nobody else in the world. And honestly, that was the best world I could've ever imagined.

"So..." I cleared my throat, brushing my bangs back. "Let's go check out Central Park, shall we?"

He nodded. "We shall."

We trudged over towards the park in silence, but a comforting silence. I admired the view of the city, and the children that laughed as they ran around together. It warmed my heart, honestly, because I'd always had a soft spot for kids—not that I would ever dream of telling anyone that.

Lucas stopped walking, crossing his arms over his chest as he looked around. I didn't know what he was doing, so I stopped, as well, looking around the park as if I knew exactly he was getting at. His eyebrows were crinkled in an adorable way that meant he was in thought.

Shoot, Maya, shut up! I mentally scolded myself. Don't call Lucas adorable!

"Okay," he started, "I think we should talk to some of the people and ask them what they think about Central Park."

I quirked an eyebrow, saying, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah!" he replied. "Maybe we could ask them how long they've been coming here, and if it's one of there favorite places in Manhattan. We could write about that in an essay and turn that in to Mr. Matthews."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Well, have fun with that, Huckleberry," I said with a smirk. "But me? I'm gonna go have some fun!"

With that, I turned, running towards the swing set with the largest smile on my face.

∆ ∇ ∆

"Ranger Rick!" I whined, holding onto the chains of the swing and throwing my head back dramatically. "Come push me!"

He looked away from the woman he was speaking to, rolling his eyes at me. Then, "I'm busy, Maya!"

"You're no fun," I muttered.

I started pumping my legs, swinging a bit, but not as high as I wanted to go. Every time Riley and I went to a park, I always made her push me on the swings—in return, I'd slide down with her to make sure she didn't get 'head injuries'. I loved having someone to push me on the swing, mainly because I was always too lazy to do it myself.

"Loocas Poocas!" I shouted, kicking some mulch in his direction. "Please please please come push me!"

"No!" he hollered back.

"Come on, you little butt!" I protested. "I need someone to push me!"

"I'm talking to this woman, Pancakes!" He rolled his eyes again.

I saw the woman smile softly at him when he looked back at her, so I listened to what it was they were talking about. If he wasn't going to push me, I was going to be nosy.

"It's okay, son," the woman said to Lucas. "Go push your girlfriend on the swings!"

I froze, my cheeks heating up. My lips parted a bit in embarrassment, but I couldn't bring myself to say anything in order to deny her claims. I just wasn't capable of forming coherent sentences at the moment, probably because she was the second woman today who thought Lucas and I were dating.

"Oh, uh"—Lucas paused, scratching the back of his neck—"she's not my– um, we're not... Together."

"Really?" she asked, to which Lucas nodded his head. "Oh... Well, maybe you should consider it."

"Thanks for answering some of my questions," Lucas thanked her, before awkwardly turning away and walking over in my direction.

I laughed, pretending I hadn't heard anything. "So now will you push me, Loocas Poocas?" I asked him.

"Okay," he sighed in defeat. "Fine."

"Yay!" I said, imitating Riley and placing my hands on the chains once more. "Push me!"

He rolled his eyes, walking around behind me and the swing I was sitting in. I felt his hands on my back, and for a moment, I felt a blush creeping onto my cheeks—but I quickly shook it away and pretended nothing happened. Lucas pushed me forward on the swing, and I shoved all thoughts of my feelings for him to the side, instead just being happy that I could finally swing.

I laughed, being sure to keep my legs together so I didn't flash my underwear to the park. My hair flew out behind me in the wind each time I was pushed higher in the air, and I loved the feeling of the breeze washing over my face. I craned my neck ever so slightly, just to peek at Lucas. He was smiling.

"Whee!" I cheered, not caring that I sounded like a two year old. "Higher, Huckleberry!"

"What are you, twelve?" He chuckled.

"Yeah," I replied, shouting so he could hear me. "On a scale of one to ten!"

I heard him scoff, saying, "Touché!"

As he continued to push me on the swing, I thought about what the woman said—maybe I should reconsider the possibility of me and Lucas as a couple.

—❀—

I updated already! Yay, I'm on a roll!

I personally thought this chapter was adorable because it includes lowkey Shaty and some adorable Lucayaness. I need a boyfriend to push me on a swing...

Or just a boyfriend in general...

ANYWAYS.

Hope you enjoyed!

Jenna

[ unedited ]