seven; piggy back rides

hello
it's me.

clever-ish & I are friendship goals.

enjoyyyyy.

p.s. lots of texting in this chapter.

—❀—

S E V E N

[ m a y a ]

AFTER WE FINISHED UP OUR FOOD, LUCAS PAID THE BILL AND I COVERED THE TIP.

Technically, the school paid for all of it since we used the money provided to us by Mr. Matthews, but those were just technicalities.

We walked out of the diner side by side, not really saying anything as we headed for his truck. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the time—7:15 am. As the two of us climbed into his 'vehicle', I decided to text Riley and see how she and Farkle were doing.

me: Hello!

Riley: It's me.

me: I officially love you even more than I already did.

Riley: YAAAAAAAAAAY!

me: It wasn't much of a struggle to read that in your voice, Honey.

Riley: I figured :)

me: So, how's it going with Minkus?

Riley: Pretty good. Buffalo's about a six and a half hour drive from Greenwich though so we've been occupying ourselves with the license plate game!

me: So it's going good then? *wiggles eyebrows*

Riley: omg, please shut up!

me: Nah, I'm good.

Riley: How's it going with you and he-who-shall-not-be-named?

me: I wasn't aware Voldemort was on this trip.

Riley: I wasn't aware that you knew anything about Harry Potter.

me: Touché. It's going fine with Huckleberry. We just finished eating & now we're on our way to Manhattan.

Riley: Take a picture in front of the Statue of Liberty for me!

me: Will do :)

Riley: ugh, I gotta go. Daddy's calling me. Ttyl Peaches!

me: Hasta luego, Honey.

I locked my phone, slipping it back into my pocket and watching through the window at the buildings that buzzed by in a blur. Sighing softly, I leaned my head back against the headrest and decided to take a little nap. Matthews did make me wake up at five, after all.

∆ ∇ ∆

"Pancakes!"

I was shaken out of my sleep—literally—by Lucas. Opening my eye, I blinked to adjust to the light and looked around. The truck was parked in front of a building that stood at about fifteen stories high. I figured we must've been in Manhattan, and that we had finally arrived at whichever hotel Lucas had chosen for us to stay at. I'd told him that I didn't care where we stayed, so I let him pick.

"We're here?" I mumbled, my voice sounding groggy due to my sleepy state.

He glanced at the building for a moment before averting his gaze back to me. Then, "Yep. Let's get going."