nine; push my swing

logging on back and forth between my accounts is too much work and I'm too lazy to do it.

p.s. just thought you might enjoy the gif to the side :)

—❀—

N I N E

[ m a y a ]

WE WALKED FROM THE HOTEL TO CENTRAL PARK IN COMPLETE AND UTTER SILENCE, BUT IT WAS THE CONFRONTING KIND.

I admired the park the instant we got there, watching the lively buzz of kids swarming the equipment. Sliding, swinging, things of that nature. There were parents sitting on benches, chatting amongst themselves or reading magazines, sometimes books. People were sprawled out on the grass on top of checkered picnic blankets having picnics, and a couple teenage boys were throwing a football back and forth.

"I can't believe I've never actually been to Central Park," I breathed, slowly taking a step forward and looking around the area.

"Well, now you have," he said.

"Yeah," I scoffed. "With a Huckleberry."

He looked down at me, his lips curving into a side smile. "You love me, Maya Hart."

I bit my lip, refraining from speaking and looking away from his green eyes. My gaze locked ahead of me, at the slides and swing sets. I was just trying to keep myself from saying something stupid, something like "yes, Lucas, I do have feelings for you!" That would've been a very bad idea.

He didn't say anything either, and for a moment, the only thing between us was silence. That moment ended when my phone rang, pulling me from my thoughts and leading me to sigh of relief. I reached down into my boot—where I housed my phone, since I didn't have pockets—and checked the caller I.D. It was Shawn.

"Hey," I answered, placing the device against my ear.

"Hi, Maya," he said. "How's it going?"

I sighed. "Good, I guess. We're at Central Park now."

"Cool."

"So, uh..." I trailed off, clearing my throat, "Not that I'm not overjoyed to hear from you and all, but why exactly did you call me?"

"I have a question," he blurted, jumping straight to the point. That was one of my favorite things about Shawn—he didn't really beat around the bush with me anymore. He was comfortable with me for the most part, and we had a great relationship. He and Mr. Matthews were like the dads I never had.

"Okay," I replied, "Shoot."

"I was wondering if you would be okay... Uh, if I... Um..."

"Spit it out!" I said.

"I wanna propose to Katy!"

I didn't say anything.

My eyes were wide, mouth agape as I stared forward at nothing.

"Uh, Maya?" Shawn said. "Maya, are you there? Hello? Uh, did you hang up or something? Maya!"

There was only one thing that I could bring myself to say.

"Yyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

"So I'll take that as a yes?" Shawn chuckled.

"Absolutely!" I shouted. "Bye!"

With that, I pulled the phone away from my ear and ended the call, still bouncing around with the largest smile etched onto my face. To say this was great news would be an understatement, because I'd been waiting for this day forever.