eight; forgotten clothes

hi hi hi I want Jimmy John's okay bye you may read now.

p.s. something super cliché and overused involving a shower happens in this, but the reason it's cliché and overused is because we all know we love it ;)

—❀—

E I G H T

[ m a y a ]

"WAKE UP, MAYA!" I HEARD, FOLLOWED BY BEING SHAKEN.

I groaned, rolling over onto my back to find Lucas standing over the bed, smiling down at me. Rolling my eyes, I turned back onto my side and closed my eyes again, acting as if he wasn't even there. As it turned out, two hours of sleep wasn't enough.

"No thanks, Mom," I teased, smirking whilst snuggling up to my pillow.

I expected him to say something back, some type of comment that a mom would say, but that wasn't the case. In a swift motion, I was lifted off of the bed and into the air. I gasped as I was slung over Lucas's shoulder, similar to Shrek and Fiona from the first Shrek movie. Aside from the fact that I wasn't a princess and he wasn't an ogre and we'd never end up together.

"This isn't Shrek!" I shouted, pounding my fists against his back as he began to walk away from my bed. "No! Take me back! I must sleep!"

"Two hours, Maya," he said. "It's time for you to get ready. This is Manhattan! There's plenty of stuff to do here that's better than sleeping!"

I hit him again. "Nothing's better than sleeping!"

"This is an assignment, Maya," he emphasized, taking me off of his shoulder and placing me down on the ground in front of the bathroom door. "We have to do it."

I sighed, saying, "I know, I know. I'll go take a shower, okay?"

"Thank you!" He smiled, opening the door to the bathroom and pushing me inside. I rolled my eyes and pulled the door closed again, locking it.

I sighed, brushing my bangs back with my fingers. I'd felt really weird these past few days, especially today after all the time I had spent with Lucas. I didn't like the way I was feeling, because I think I was starting to redevelop my crush—crushing on my best friend's ex was a bad idea, especially after I was already the reason they broke up.

Placing my palms against the surface of the sink, I pressed a sigh through my lips, looking in the mirror. I wasn't as great as Riley was—she was happy, excited, and optimistic. But me? I was just broken, and I knew I didn't have a chance with Lucas. After being in a relationship with someone as awesome as Riley, there was no way he'd go for me.

"Let go of this stupid crush!" I whisper-yelled to my reflection, wagging my finger at the mirror in a scolding manner. "Get over it!"

I can't get over it! my mind countered.

"Well you're gonna have to," I whispered aloud, talking to myself.

But I can't, said my mind.

"Just shut up!" I screamed.

I cringed, knowing that if Lucas was still in the hotel room, he had to have heard that.

"Uh, Maya?" I heard, and I winced, inwardly slapping myself.

I cleared my throat. "Yes?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything's fine and dandy, Ranger Rick!" I shouted, rubbing my temples. "Let me shower in peace!"

He chuckled. "Alright. I'm gonna get dressed."