Dancing among the Stars 47

The sight of food and other goods surrounded Rose. It was so bright with color; smell and sound that she thought her heart would burst from so much excitement—it felt like a dream.

. People were laughing and having fun, whilst storytellers told their tales and entertainers amused the crowd. Torches provided light and ribbons blew in the soft breeze. The sky was cloudless and the stars and full moon shone bright, a tribute to this night.

Rose knew her mother and father were to dance the Namir-da tonight and she smiled, knowing her mother was finally able to reveal what she loved most, what she lived for in the Lupine tribe: Dance.

As she and Nyesh walked to the dais, the dancers positioning themselves for the opening, Rose knew her parents would come soon. Suddenly, without warning, the bonfire flared with a blue burst of flame, caused by some sort of powder, and the drums began a slow, seductive beat while the four serpiente dancers moved like liquid honey across the dais, their bodies speaking of lust and love. As beautiful as fire against an evening sky, they portrayed a great display.

The drums suddenly quickened to a thundering beat and a flute spun a web of mystery and wonder. Bright colors of silk spun before the eyes of the crowd: deep blue, emerald green, garnet of the cobra, and gold of the hawk, leapt upon the dais, proclaiming mercy and cunning. As the singing of the dancers wove with the moves, swaying and leaping, the words seemed to come from within the fire that pulsed with the drums, with a heartbeat of life, and gave the scene a haunting aura while the flutes gave the stroke of a touch upon the scenes. The words of the singers spoke of passion...

You speak of love

You speak in rhyme

You speak to me like a dance

Soft, seductive, and free

Rose had never seen such beauty in a performance as she saw now. It was spellbinding to watch, the moves like water.

Suddenly a wolf's howl broke the silence and, from the shadows, stepped another dancer in a dancer's outfit of a bronze skirt and earthen green shirt. The dancer, Namid, bowed her head and crossed her hands at the wrist and placed them over her chest, the Lupine symbol of prayer. Then she began to sing, soft and almost mournful:

The world makes me want to weep

Cry out to the gods that shaped the land

To mourn to those we have lost, but my tears remain unshed

My love for you cries tears of joy, for it is you who bring it

And I reveal the tears in my eyes for I cannot hold them back.

The dancer then spread out her arms and stood in silence as the serpiente dancers moved around her, chanting verses in Ha'shmla. As another figure came from the shadows, the chanting stopped. The second figure, Salem, dressed in vibrant gold and green, took one of Namid's hands and spun her to face him.

The serpiente dancers picked up the song as Namid and Salem moved with the drum's beat, their eyes clearly focused on the many steps of the Namir-da as great blue flames roared up to the sky at random intervals.

Sweetly, swiftly we dance together

Deftly we step to this beat, shaping our desire

To meet the sway, to meet the flutes trilling notes

Dancing here gives us the freedom we wish

Suddenly the drums stilled and Namid stepped to the front of the dais, raising her head to the sky.

The wolf's song sings, strong, free yet mournful

The wolf's dance is seductive,

Blessing the land for fertility

Blessing the moon for refuge

Blessing the world for its knowledge

To which cannot be fathomed

I know you wonder as we wonder

To what, to whom, is your purpose?

Take me to your sweet domain

Let me run free, don't hold me back

Let me sing, sing for freedom, for peace

For love…

Namid, as Salem held her close, froze like this and the serpiente dancers then kneeled, chanting softly and letting the music slowly fade away.

For a few stunned moments, the crowd stood, unable to process the beauty of this performance. Then slowly the crowd cheered and let out joyful cries. The dancers all bowed and retreated to a tent to change.

Rose grinned and nudged Nyesh who stood in bewildered silence. "That's the Namir-da for you." She laughed.

"Wow. If that's only once a year, imagine next year's." Nyesh replied.

"That's Chu'si's turn, if she chooses a mate." Rose replied.

"Then," Nyesh snaked an arm around her waist, "it'll be our turn."

Rose blushed and turned away. Nyesh only took her chin and turned her face to his, kissing her lips softly, "It is true, you know."

Rose only giggled.