Dancing among the Stars 34

A/N: The name Rakab is actually a real name spelled backwards. The real name, Bakar, means: alone. Namid is another real name; it's Native American for 'star-dancer' Which is where I got the idea for the plot.

Just some info I decided to share.

Rose woke from a nap, and saw the sky had turned a deep blue, the sun high in the sky. Sitting up, her sharp ears heard the sound of quiet breathing beside her. She turned and smiled at Nyesh, who lay still in slumber. Leaning down, she kissed his cheek and rose from the bed.

She decided against waking Nyesh so she quickly went to the practice courts and took a practice blade from the weapons lined against the wall. Finding no challenger, she took the blade and swung it in a wide butterfly sweep, finding it to move easily through her hands. Flicking the hilt up, she caught it and threw it up again, grinning as she caught it.

As she threw it up again, finding fun in this, a voice made her jump. "You may want to try the serpiente blade dances." The practice blade dropped to the floor with a clatter as she turned around and found Chu'si standing leisurely by the doorway of the indoor practice courts, a smile on her face.

Rose picked up the blade and turned to Chu'si, "Aren't you supposed to be indulging in your men?"

Chu'si made a face, "Oh, you hit me hard, my dear cousin." "I suppose you treat Nyesh this way or would you rather ravish him?"

Rose scowled, "I would not."

Chu'si, "I know he wants to ravish you…it's in his eyes."

Rose almost envisioned Nyesh's eyes, alight with fire, and filled with passion and drew in a sharp breath to calm her nerves from the intoxicating image.

"Just as I thought." Muttered Chu'si, "You actually want him to?"

Rose ignored the question, glared at her adopted cousin, and silently picked up the blade and walked out.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Namid pulled away from Rak, "I-I…"

Rakab put a finger to her lips, "Shh. You don't need to say anything."

Namid took his wrist and moved his hand to rest at his side, "Rak…"

She saw the hurt in his eyes before his question was asked, "Will it be his heart or mine?"

"Please…" Namid plead, "You're my first priority."

"Priority?" "Oh, so that's what you think? That I'm a chore to you?" Rak's eyes flashed angrily.

"No! Noth—" Namid suddenly found herself hanging by the collar in Rakab's grip, his face twisted with grief-stricken rage. Namid's eyes widened and her face went white in terror. "Rak…please stop…you know I--just stop this," she sputtered. "Let me finish."

Rakab snarled, "No!" "All my life I've protected you and this…" He sucked in ragged breaths, "This is what we've come to."

Namid closed her eyes from the image of the monster that her friend had become. "Rakab…" she whispered.

Sheila's voice rang through the clearing, loud and demanding, "Rakab, let her go!"

The emerald boa was standing by the entrance of the clearing, green eyes irate.

Namid was dropped to the ground, and, looking up, she saw her friend collapse to his knees, the anger vanishing from his tense body and tears replace the rage in his eyes. Soon, he bowed his head, body shaking with sobs. "Oh, gods, Namid…" he sobbed, taking her hands. "I-I'm sorry…"